When is it acceptable to break up via text?

I've been casually seeing someone for about 2 weeks now, and I feel like it's not going to progress to anything serious due to a lack of chemistry. We've had about five dates and will usually speak to each other every day, but his replies are very short and it's clear he isn't interested enough to try and keep a conversation going. I don't want to drag things out but I have very little experience in "breaking up". Would I be commiting a faux pas by ending this through text?

67

Most Helpful Guy

• It's not? Who told you it was?

• Just remember though, once you break up with him, he's now your EX, by definition

• Keyword, EX

What Guys Said 6

• its ok to break up with someone through text if they Cheated, been lying, or if they are the kind of person who doesn't deserve you

• It's only 2 weeks so in my eyes it's be acceptable

But on the other hand, it's cowardish. Show some respect and dump him in person. The Text is too easy, too cold..

• Do people still break up? I thought you just stop replying to the other person, haha

• Yes you would be. Breaking up via text is a gutless move. Tell him in person. It's a classier thing to do.

• If the person cheated on you and you have proof.

• Uh... never.

What Girls Said 6

• I will be in the minority here.

Two weeks , five dates... not exactly even a "break up" as nothing has been established. The guy is giving signs of being disinterested. I think a carefully worded text, in this case, isn't all that horrible. It's more respectful than ghosting.

• It's been two weeks. It's not the best way but if you rarely see each other and rarely communicate, go for it. But I think it may be much better over a phone call.

• I think so too.. try giving him a call when you know he may b available or even when u just feel like you have to get it off ur chest. If he does not answer then maybe a text. no point meeting up and wasting each others time.

• Well it depends on how bad he has treated you. Because a break up through text is really immature and disrespectful.

• Yes it's acceptable. I just did it not too long ago.

• It never is. Just call him and be upfront and honest.