Do you believe that people can just be friends coming out of a relationship?

Do you believe two people who just ended their relationship can still be friends and that it will work out? Me and my ex just broke up about a month ago but decided to still be friends but its a lot more difficult than I thought it was gonna be to just be friends. the transition from boyfriend/girlfriend to just friends was difficult and I'm not sure either one of us has fully excepted it yet. Do you think this will work out for us just being good friends?

32

Most Helpful Guy

• If both parties can eliminate their feelings of attraction and thoughts of potential relationships - yes, it could be possible; however, it's EXTREMELY difficult because one little slip of those feelings will either hurt your future endeavors with relationships, or send you back down the path of caring about them more than a friend.

Additionally - some of my experiences have shown that they do not tolerate someone to "be friends" with a previous relationship due to people abusing that power and cheating on the individual with an ex. Ultimately they have no choice as to what you do in your life; however, this could make for a high-tension relationship that wouldn't be very happy and fun.

I advise you to consider the pro's and con's of keeping him as a friend and make your decision =)

Best regards,

ArtistBBoy

What Guys Said 1

• As you found out, "regressing" a courtship back to friendship is difficult. You can look at it this way, progressing a courtship to a new level of friendship, now that you two have a deeper understanding of each other. It also depends on your (both) ability to forgive each other for any hurts each incurred the other. It IS a tall order, don't feel deflated if you "fail"; we are human beings, not computers with a bunch of files which can be deleted and the hard-disk spaces re-used.

• I strongly agree with you, especially about the forgiveness part

• If you master the art of forgiving, which belong to the art of healing one's emotional wounds, you graduate from one of the toughest exam a human being can be subjected to. Your reward is a life of peace, joy, happiness.... The other art you also need to master is the art of protecting your happiness, to maintain that hard-earned joy.

What Girls Said 3

• I'm best friends with my ex that was going to dump me for my other friend. It doesn't just happen it's awkward and everything but eventually that will go away

• It's going to be a lot different that it was before. You can still be friends, but it's going to take a lot of work, and you should probably take some time "off" so you can both get over your feelings for each other.

• Yeah time off would of been a good idea, we just went straight to friends and yeah those feelings were still there which bad it hard

• I think it is difficult especially if you really had feelings for her, like if you were in love. You don't treat a girlfriend the same way you treat a friend right? And you don't have the same feelings for a friend and a girlfriend. It's difficult because you had a past with her and you might still have those feelings towards her. My boyfriend and I just broke up and he asked to be friends. However, knowing that I have strong feelings for him will make it hard to see him as "just a friend" and will make me feel like he is still mine. It is difficult if the feelings are still there, but if you really lost feelings for her then you will only see her as a friend.