I just got divorced three months ago and was wondering if it's normal to become celibate?

I'm extremely afraid of being intimate with anyone else. I'm 23 and since the divorce I have lost all interest in dating, sexual relations, and I literally just like to keep to myself. Is this normal? Will I ever feel differently? I'm confused. I'm not in love with my ex anymore but for some reason I still feel obligated to refrain from any type of sexual contact. It's like he still has control over me. This was why I left. He abused me physically and emotionally and I'm scared I'm not healing right.

35

Most Helpful Guy

• It's probably because of the trauma. You do those things with him so they remind you of him and the wrong he did. It's normal. Just live your life now, you're free, and as you heal remember those things are good, and you will find their true value when you find the right guy for you. Don't let your ex take your joy from you. Goodluck, stay positive

• Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. He is the only I have been intimate with for so long I just feel scared even considering the idea. Hopefully time will help. It feels like a phobia.

• You still have a lot to look forward to, you know. There's always someone who will love and appreciate you. However bad it might be right now, it's probably the start of something better. Keep your hopes up always. G'luck

What Guys Said 4

• It's normal considering the experience you just came from. There is no pressure, or time limits to enter into another relationship right away. Take your time, enjoy being safe and single, and date if you feel interested in doing so.

• If you meet another trustworthy attractive person then you might change your mind on this matter

• I hope so. I loved companionship but it's hard to feel vulnerable again.

• for a while it is. I think what you are going through is normal from a time standpoit

• It is normal, think of it as being gun shy after a bad experience.

What Girls Said 3

• Sure it's normal. I bet you will feel different - once you find someone to trust again. =)

• Definitly normal. I did the same thing after mine

• It is totally normal!