Do long distance relationships really work and last until when?

If two people have always had strong feelings for each other but are in different continents. What are the chances that, relationship might actually work but knowing fully well that getting back together is lets say five years. As both are studying in these countries they are into. Should one let go, try to move on or just have an open relationship. People please be honest. What's the best solution to such a dilemma

42

Most Helpful Girl

• I am married to the man of my dreams. We met through a friend through a Harry Potter chat room when we were 13 and 14. We were best friends and spent most time online together. We had our own separate lives, and we were all going through our separate dramas, but we still managed to keep in touch and I still cared a lot about him. I loved him from the very beginning - he always saw me as just a friend. Until one day - when I was 17 he instant messaged me and we started talking on a regular basis again. I guess life had spared us both some drama and we were able to reconnect. Our relationship developed from there. We began talking on the phone every day. Eventually our feelings were obvious and we decided to become an exclusive item. He lived in Georgia, I lived in California. He was in college and I was still just a senior in high school. We lived over 2,000 miles away.

We called each other every night. We shared in our day to day struggles and joys. We gave each other internet hugs and sent pictures of one another (and sometimes video), just to be able to connect a little bit more. I remember sending him a video giving him a tour of my home in california. He sent me a video of him playing with a lighter. Random little things. I would send hand written letters.

10 months into our relationship he was beginning his second year of college and I got into a university 7 hours away from him. I visited him in the middle of the semester. It was the first time I'd ever ridden a public bus. I took a Greyhound from Savannah, through Macon, to Atlanta just to see this boy. I spent the whole weekend sick! His mom wasn't too happy - she didn't understand why I spent the whole weekend in his room. In fact... I had to twist the truth just to get my parents to allow me to go to this far away school to be with this unknown boy... to this day I still think our parents don't know how we ACTUALLY met. I don't feel too bad since my father is engaged to some one he met on eharmony and my husband's parents met through the internet as well.

We saw each other twice that semester... I wanted out of my school for several reasons. I tried applying to my (then) boyfriend's college. They rejected me so I had to spend the next 10 months (again) in California... over 2000 miles away. Fortunately, he was able to visit me during Christmas of that year, and that spring I managed to be able to fly out to see him as well. I finished off a semester of college in California with my schedule specifically designed to be able to get into his school. I was accepted, but had to wait another summer to see him. Three months later I was moving into an on campus apartment. At that point, we had actually been together for nearly two years, but had only actually been in one another's presence for nearly two months. From then on we spent most days together. Three years later, we got married. We are VERY happy together. We've been through alot, and I think the distance has only made us stronger

• Copy and pasted from here:https://www.girlsaskguys.com/Relationships-Questions/130184-long-distance-relationships.html

• Your welcome - I wish I could speak for my friends as well. My two best friends in California are in long distance relationships (they both live several hours away from their boy friends) and another one of my friends who lives in Georgia has a boyfriend in California (he is an army boy so he has been away from her for nearly their whole relationship so far - they are madly in love).

Good luck! :)

There is always hope.

• Also - just another thing to think about when people tell you negative things about long distance relationships - every relationship you have until you find "the one" will be a "failed" relationship (I don't view any relationship as failed even if it has ended, but it seems to be a popular belief)... so the majority of relationships are "failed." And if you think about it, there are likely more face to face relationships than LDR - so more F2FR fail than LDR. Just stay positive :)

What Guys Said 2

• They only work if both parties are willing to put in some considerable work. It's not going to be easy, but it can be done. The problem with long distance is that you spend time apart. This causes doubts among any party and usually one finds him or herself more happy with their freedom.

• I seriously doubt that it will ever work. Five years is a long time. One will just end up getting hurt, so I would say that it is probably best to end the relationship and just be friends.

What Girls Said 3

• It depends on the person really, but when my boyfriend and I (dated 2 years) went away to college it didn't last. I moved ten hours away for school and we wanted it to work but it was wayyy too hard..An Open relationship may be an option for you, however, if you find someone else you want to be with, things can get messy... trust me. Do what you feel is best because for some people it DOES work out. My personal advice would be to wait until he is back, even if it is five years and if there is still a spark then maybe it WAS meant to be... otherwise maybe move on.. hope this helps! Good luck

• Depends on the people and how much they care about each other.

• It just depends...more often than not it doesn't work...but there's always exceptions to the rule