I feel guilty 4 years after breaking up with my ex boyfriend but is my current boyfriend's advice true?

So long story short, when I was 19 I had a boyfriend who I felt treated my not very well after dating a year I ended the relationship (I tried breaking up 2x prior to that time) during that time I lied to him saying I was in love, I knew I wasn't. I'm pretty sure our breakup broke his heart...

Fast forward to now, I'm 23, I'm I've been dating a guy for a year it's a solid relationship and I'm happy. However, my ex boyfriend still misses me, he tells me how he wished we could have worked it out and how he isn't as happy as he used to be... I still keep in touch every once in a while be honest out of guilt, and my boyfriend thinks I need to give my ex space and not be in any part of his life so he can fully move on... Is my boyfriend right?

53

Most Helpful Girl

• Why are you keeping someone in your life that treated you poorly? Why are you feeling guilty for leaving a relationship that wasn't good? He doesn't really miss you - he misses having a punching bag that will just lie there and take it.

Your boyfriend is right. Forget about that loser and move on with your life.

What Guys Said 3

• Yes he's right, by keeping this other guy hanging on through the odd chat or message then u are giving him false hope. Leave him get over u with no contact be cruel to be kind he needs to forget about u but he can't let u go so u let him go.

• He's 100% right. Stop talking to your manipulative ex boyfriend.. why are you even keeping him in your life in the first place if he's not meant to mean anything to you? You should have more respect for your boyfriend than that.

• Why did you keep up with your little ex-man for 4 freaking years?

What Girls Said 4

• He is absolutely right! At this point any time you talk to your ex you are giving him hope of getting you back. Even an ounce of hope isn't good. The only way he will have a chance of letting you go will be to cut contact. It will hurt him at first but in the end talking to him will only hurt him more.

• Yes, your boyfriend is right.

• I would not. I would not want my family, boyfriends, future kids, etc. around my ex. Why? It is weird.

• Wow that is amazing