How long does it take to get over a 5 year relationship?

I've been broken up with my ex for about a year and there's times where i think of her so much that i almost wanna talk to her but i can't. And there's times where i dont think of her one little bit.

When so you stop completely thinking about them after a long term relationship? By the way We broke up cause it wasn't working out we are 2 different people. It wasn't cause of anything bad.

• its normal
  • only when you find someone else

24

Most Helpful Guy

• I've had maybe five very serious relationships in my life, girls I was together with long-term (like at least a year), had sex with, knew their families, etc.

I wouldn't want to completely stop thinking about any of them. But, even if I wanted to, I couldn't. They're all still important to me, and they'll always be with me, in a sense. I'll always wish them the very best.

You build your life and your character and your worldview on experiences like these. Integrating these memories and feelings into your future existence is healthy, natural and important.

Good luck. :)

• Yea same here. She will always be there, in a sense. Thanks for the comment. That helps alot!

What Girls Said 2

• You've shared so many memories and spent so much time together, she's bound to be in your heart. The thing is that you'll still have that love for her in your heart. You will never actually get over her (if you really loved her) but what tends to happens is that we learn how to live around that gap in our life. In order to move on you need to understand why you felt what you did and why you no longer need to feel it. It's gonna be really hard. But you'll get through it.

• If you're two different people then how did you manage to bear her for five years?

• Lots of people ask me that. When we first started dating we were young and as time went by we grew apart and we ended up getting comfortable with each other that one day we both decided to go our own separate ways cause we wouldn't see each other in each others future.
      We both change in a way where the last 3 months she said i annoyed her and i said that i felt like i wasn't able to do anything. Long story short. We had a great connection as friends but not as a boyfriend and girlfriend

• Oh ok. should've stayed comfortable and made the sacrifice

• No cause there wasn't love anymore.

What Guys Said 3

• Supposedly it takes at least 3 months to get over any relationship. It took me nearly two years to get over an 8 year relationship, and I know of so many people who have been broken for life by one relationship going bad.
    Keep your head up, dont shut doors on your self, and look forward. You'll get there in the end.

• Wow thats a long time man! Alright thanks man!

• That's a hard to answer.

When I first met my ex, as friends, she was dating a guy, and dumped him. Two weeks later, with a new guy. He dumps her, then two weeks later, she was with me. (I should have seen the signs!). 3 years later, she dumps me, 4 days later, new guy.

Me, I still hurt over the breakup sometimes and it was 2 years ago.

Women, in my experience, tend to get over a breakup faster than guys do.

• I completely agree with you man! When i started dating my ex she was broken up for 2 weeks and then we started dating. 5 years and 3 months later we broke up and 2 days later she was hooking up with a guy as a rebound I guess. 3 weeks later she started seein this guy that eventually turned into dating. Of course on my side i had many diff emotions but i chose to stay single for a while and go through it the hard way which is the best way. Like 7 months later her boyfriend broke up wit her. And then she was hurt. A few weeks later she started dating this other guy and im guessing they are together. I dont understand why they get over relationship faster than men.

• I can't pick either I have the same feelings but I was with mine for 3 1/5 years and been broken up for two I know how you feel but 5 would be more intense. I don't think those feelings ever change but someone else will come and will focus our mind elsewhere if u still feel that way for her which u will. maybe you guys should be friends. You weren't made to be lovers but maybe you were to be friends who knows.

• That is exactly what i said to her and she said she needed some time for herself and to fet conpletely over me. Not too long ago we talked cause it was her bday and i asked if we could be friends and she said she doesn't feel right being friends. Maybe cause she feels like she's stuck in the past. Then she blocked me from all social media and phone. Lol. Im sure there's gonna be someone who makes us feel better than our exs. We jsut gotta be patient. Good luck!

• I think she still loves you and doesn't want to see you. it prolly hurts her more than you which is why she can't bare to see u on social media. But it's not like it'll be the same as before while your friends but I can't really talk I tried it myself and we got together again and overtime she would want to be friends til I finally told her no she's moved on but talks to me sometimes. Lol but Yes someone does need to come into my life I'm growing impatient. You'll be fine though it doesn't seem like you're in bad shape