Girls, Have you ever broken up with your boyfriend because you needed emotional space while knowing you wanted to get back together eventually?

This is assuming that he fucked up and it really hurt but you still want to be with him.

As a guy I've always tried to work it out when a girl has hurt me but men and women handle being hurt in totally different ways from my experience.

My thought is that being friends may be the only way for a woman to deal with the pain and not cause too much damage in the process while being able keep a relationship with the man. Again, assuming her plan is to get back together.

9

Most Helpful Girl

What Girls Said 8

• Not ever. When I say things like I need space it is to distance myself while not crushing him.

• Yes. I needed space that my last boyfriend wasn't giving me and I wanted a break. But then he went around saying that I cheated on him with one of my guy friends and that I was probably fucking him for months. And that he was trying to get over me but I kept crying to him about my dying father and that he should tell me he hoped my dad bit the dust after calling me a whore. After that I didn't give a shit.

• I'm really sorry to hear that. I've seen females do this kinda thing. It seems kinda like emergency first-aid and the problem definitely is that there is no guarantee that the guy will stick around :/

• Yeah it's sucky but life happens, we keep breathing. My ex hurt me and I could never handle being friends with him. The rumors and the lying on his end started when I said I wanted to take a break because I couldn't handle us and wanted to go back to being friends for a while. It just... didn't end well

• wow that's fucked up but think of it this way its a good thing you saw his true colours now not potentially years down the line

• Yes, I have. Not sure it is working though!

• No if I want space I'll ask, If I break up I want him to be gone for good.

• Unless she gave you an amount of time that she needed for herself, I wouldn't wait around for her. That is a classic exsuse for a girl to get out.

• Okay I tried to do that once, but the guy didn't understand. He thought "emotional space" meant my feelings weren't that strong and the space would just drive us apart.

• yes, sometimes you just need time away. you feel the need to be able to feel like you're free for a little bit, i am actually doing this right now. we are totally going to get back together but we just fight and sometimes breaks help.

• Thanks!

Does he know you intend on getting back later or is this just your plan?

Would the phrase "I hate you, don't leave me" apply in your case?

• i never have.