Girls, Have you ever broken up with your boyfriend because you needed emotional space while knowing you wanted to get back together eventually?

Updates:
This is assuming that he fucked up and it really hurt but you still want to be with him.

As a guy I've always tried to work it out when a girl has hurt me but men and women handle being hurt in totally different ways from my experience.

My thought is that being friends may be the only way for a woman to deal with the pain and not cause too much damage in the process while being able keep a relationship with the man. Again, assuming her plan is to get back together.

0|0

Most Helpful Girl

Have an opinion?

What Girls Said 8

• Not ever. When I say things like I need space it is to distance myself while not crushing him.

0|1
    0|0
  • Yes. I needed space that my last boyfriend wasn't giving me and I wanted a break. But then he went around saying that I cheated on him with one of my guy friends and that I was probably fucking him for months. And that he was trying to get over me but I kept crying to him about my dying father and that he should tell me he hoped my dad bit the dust after calling me a whore. After that I didn't give a shit.

0|1
    0|0
    • I'm really sorry to hear that. I've seen females do this kinda thing. It seems kinda like emergency first-aid and the problem definitely is that there is no guarantee that the guy will stick around :/

• Yeah it's sucky but life happens, we keep breathing. My ex hurt me and I could never handle being friends with him. The rumors and the lying on his end started when I said I wanted to take a break because I couldn't handle us and wanted to go back to being friends for a while. It just... didn't end well

• wow that's fucked up but think of it this way its a good thing you saw his true colours now not potentially years down the line

• Yes, I have. Not sure it is working though!

0|1
    0|0
  • No if I want space I'll ask, If I break up I want him to be gone for good.

0|1
    0|0
  • Unless she gave you an amount of time that she needed for herself, I wouldn't wait around for her. That is a classic exsuse for a girl to get out.

0|0
    0|0
  • Okay I tried to do that once, but the guy didn't understand. He thought "emotional space" meant my feelings weren't that strong and the space would just drive us apart.

0|0
    0|0
  • yes, sometimes you just need time away. you feel the need to be able to feel like you're free for a little bit, i am actually doing this right now. we are totally going to get back together but we just fight and sometimes breaks help.

0|1
    0|0
    • Thanks!

Does he know you intend on getting back later or is this just your plan?

Would the phrase "I hate you, don't leave me" apply in your case?

• i never have.

0|1
    0|0