Who gets the ring?

I live in Florida
I can't find out of if there is a law
Or not saying who keeps the ring
After a broken engagement
Do i give it back do i keep it what do i do?

85

Most Helpful Guy

• If he buys the engagement and says will you marry me? Well, after so long you
    said No. OKay it would be only right to give the ring back to him. Now if he said,
    for your birthday I'm getting you a engagement ring as a gift than you get to keep
    the ring anyone gives you gift, your not obligated to give that gift back. But if he
    says , Will you marry me? You say yes and you get the ring than all sudden
    he breaks off the engagement than you can keep the ring.

What Guys Said 4

• I agree with @musicbrain5

If the woman calls it off but wants to keep the ring, she's a greedy woman.

If he calls it off and breaks her heart... I guess she could keep it if she wanted, though I don't know why she'd want the reminder.

• ... Wut? You want to keep the ring even though you guys aren't getting married anymore? XFD give the guy his ring back

• In Australia to has to be returned to the man, it's what is called a conditional gift and by law must be returned.

Check your local laws, could be something similar.

• You wanna keep the ring after breaking the engagement?

Lol man that's low

What Girls Said 8

• Not so sure about "Law," however Law of averages I would say, is when the Honeymoon is over, the bride-to-be should Rightly... Return the ring, it's not hers anymore.
    Good luck. xx

• Technically he gave it to you so it's yours, but it would be the nice thing to give it back since it was a symbol of a promise to marry you. If he paid for it just give it back, you're not losing money by giving it back since he's the one who used his own money.
    What would you do with it if you kept it anyways?

• A law? I doubt there is a law governing spats between boyfriends and girlfriends.

He gave you the ring, therefore it is a gift and it is yours.

But... myself, I wouldn't keep that gift because I think it's a real butthole move. It probably cost the guy a lot of money, unless he says keep it I would give it back. If it's over why would I want a reminder of the failed marriage-to-be?

• I know where I live, and I think in many places, if the man broke off the engagement she can keep the ring. If she broke it off, she should return the ring to him.

• Lol if I was you I would just sell it and tell my ex I've lost it :P

• It's your call really

• I do bitch

• Keep the ring if u want else return it back y break ur head on the law