My ex boyfriend wants to stay friends, is it a good idea?

My boyfriend broke up with me a couple of weeks ago of 7 months. We had a good relationship and he treated me well, he is the most wonderful man I've ever met.. He is doing his Phd and is about to start doing field work away for the next 6 months. He told me he is under to much stress to have a relationship atm and he sometimes sees me as a friend. Said that he isn't feeling the way he's supposed to at this point in the relationship and even said he doesn't believe in love.. he told me he cares about me so much and cried as he was saying this to me. he said he still wants me in his life as a friend. after the breakup we spent an entire week together and still slept together and he still calls me reguarly to talk about the worries in his life. he said he doesn't want a girlfriend until after he finishes his phd.. my question is why does he still want me as just a friend? is he worth hanging around for.

23

Most Helpful Guy

• He may or may not be worth waiting for, but he needs space right now.

Let him go. Don't wait around for him on purpose though. If someone new walks into your life while he is getting his act together don't shy away form it. Embrace the opportunity to try something different.

If that works out or not then so be it. When he returns from wherever he needed to go to get right and you're still available reach out and be his friend.

STOP SLEEPING WITH HIM !!

Don't let him have his cake and eat it to. You're not doing either of you any favors. He needs to know that a break up is a BREAK UP!

Most Helpful Girl

• ... After the breakup we spent an entire week together and still slept together...
    Just because two people Breakup doesn't mean they can't and don't Makeup and tha tit is Goodbye, my love forever. And with an "EX" who still Marks an X in his own heart from the start, he usually has motive in mind, having giving you his line of 'Sees me as a friend,' that with This, hit and miss Kiss, he wants to Have, in Essence... His cake and it Two.
    He still wants you in his life full of strife but Not as two birds of a feather that because with sticking Together, 'Isn't feeling the way he's supposed at this point in the relationship and even Said... He doesn't believe in love, he can have the best of both worlds with Keeping you and the history you both shared while Keeping you and him warm as well.
    He can cry all he wants here, dear, but he pretty much has you where he really wants you and feeling comfy and cozy right now Until... He knows more in store for sure.
    It's your choice, your call and all, but you need to think hard of someone who you thought you really knew and the guy Who... Still wants me in his life as a friend.
    Good luck. xx

What Guys Said 2

• If you move on with your life then it's not good to be friend. Seem like he care for you so he want to remain your friend just to hold in to you until he finished school. It seems to me he don't want to be distracted with school so he is putting all his time and effort into getting phd, then he will consider being with you if you are still available.

• Hey can you voice your opinion on my situation too

• If you want to remain in his life you'll just have to be supportive. Listen to his problems about the things he are going through and be there when he needs you.
      Sound this guy must had his heart broken by a girl to not believe in love. But you must be really nice person for him to want to remain friends until things get better. I just hope he don't pull you along for nothing and waste your time. Life can be stressful but that doesn't mean you get rid of everybody when it do.
      Just remain the sweet woman you are and see if things change once he get his PhD or believe in love because of you.

• He's not worth it if there's no future. You have to decide if he's worth waiting for...

What Girls Said 1

• Emotional support. Some guys can't cope when they are studying and have to sustain a relationship full time. Career comes first.