"Facebook Official": How embarrassed are you of having your friends (and some exes) see that your new relationship is over?

I know this might sound silly, but would this have any impact on influencing whether or not you try to make the relationship work (or care that it did)? What would you do? How would you feel or rationalize any embarrassment?

I'm coming from the standpoint of still having a few exes on my FB, and a bunch of people from high school and college that I literally never talk to except once a year to say "thank you" when they wish me happy birthday on my wall.

53

Most Helpful Girl

• I have to be honest. For me it was embarrassing for the simple fact that I NEVER used to post anything about my relationship until I thought I had "the one". So when people saw me in a relationship based on my pics they were quite shocked and excited for me. Now that it's over and I removed all our pics (changed profile) I am a little embarrassed 😔

• OMG - this ^^^ is exactly me... I never post anything at all anymore (since 5 years ago), so it was a surprise for me to have any posts, let alone me being in a relationship sprinkled in with a few of those cutesy "us on a date looking all smiley" together pictures. #cringing

How do you cope with the embarrassment?

• I feel your pain, I really do! For the people I don't even know I could really care less.. It's the everyday/regular people that I was embarrassed about! I just go on about my regular postings (when I do post) like its nothing! I took also took a mini break from FB for a while to get my mind right.. I REFUSED to post anything about the breakup! People can be skeptical all they want it's only when you shed light on the breakup that confirm their speculations!

What Guys Said 3

• I'm the complete opposite of embarrassed really, it was the first thing I actually wanted to do the minute I asked my girlfriend out. I even said "facebook official too? ;)" and she agreed. I did it because I pretty much wanted to show off to my friends after years of complaining I was single, that I was finally into a relationship. But her friends also knew she liked me and wanted us both to get together therefore it was to show them we finally did it too!

• I'm talking about if you make the BREAKUP Facebook official lol... what happens when you break up and all of your friends and family see

• Ohhhh sorry. I mis-read it :( But I guess it is kind of heartbreaking to do so but at least it kind of shows you that you can move on with your life maybe

• doesn't bother me but I don't really post stuff on facebook to begin with, its so dull. I do see women with boyfriends on rotation though lol

• It makes no difference to me..

What Girls Said 4

• It's only embarrassing if it ends within the span of a month. I'm almost 4 years into a relationship (and yes, it's Facebook official lol) but if it ended I'm not sure embarrassed would be the right emotion. I'd be depressed that it ended but I wouldn't expect to be mocked by people on Facebook for it.

• DAMMIT - it has been 3 weeks lol. UGH... this is what I was thinking too... Thanks for your honesty :)

• I wouldn't continue with a relationship just to avoid the embarrassment of ending it on facebook..

One thing you CAN do though is before ending the relationship on facebook, change your privacy settings to "Only Me" for "Relationships" on your profile - that way it won't be blasted to your whole newsfeed when you change the status (or, better, delete it entirely).

• This is why you skim your fb friends. I never post relationship status on fb because people are nosy. It is embarrassing when you break up and it become a gossip. I am not fb friends with any of my exes because I don't want them to know anything about my life and I don't wanna know what they are up to either.

• i dont really care.