Does pretty much everyone get divorced nowadays?

I'm super depressed because my parents are getting a divorce. I never thought that they would, like I always thought they had a perfect relationship. They never scream at each other and very rarely disagree on anything. And I went to see them over the weekend and they were just like, "by the way, we're getting a divorce." I'm old enough that I guess I shouldn't really care, but I do. What's the point of getting into a long term relationship if you're just going to end up going your separate ways in the end? It seems like everyone I know has divorced parents. It just sucks.

36

Most Helpful Guy

• I know how you feel. My parents are going through a very nasty divorce right now. 20+ years straight down the toilet, and now all is left is a family shaped wreckage. However, I learned at an early age that the supposed "perfect marriage" they had didn't gel with how the world really is, so I expected it. It's taught me that people change, that's just a fact. Sometimes for the better, sometimes for the worst. Sometimes, the person you fell in love with changes into someone you don't love anymore. The thing I learned while dealing with my own parent's divorce is to not focus on the end, and instead just enjoy the beginning and middle. It'll end how it'll end, why let that stop you from living your life and getting to know a new person?

Most Helpful Girl

• A lot of people do, but that doesn't mean every relationship is doomed. My parents are still together after 38 years. My boyfriends parents have been together 32 years. All my married aunts/uncles have been married for anywhere from 10 to 30something years and still going strong. I have several friends who have been married 2-10 years and going strong.

What Guys Said 5

• Well it depends. I have divorced parents but was lucky it was fairly civil. It's never easy but I do feel for the kids of crazy divorces.

I feel the careless "let's get married after 6 months" couples are really what is killing it.

• Nobody goes into a marriage thinking they will eventually get divorced. The problem is there are a lot of selfish/wuzzy people out there who don't take their commitments seriously and give up too easily. I've been married for 16 years and trust me it's been no cake walk. Any marriage will have isn't ups and downs. Hell, about 5 years ago I was starting to have feelings for another woman I met while picking up my kid from school. Did I act on it? No. Eventually, those feelings ended because I put the promise I made to my wife over my own wants/feelings. Marriage is about self sacrifice and keeping your word. There are a lot of people who either don't understand that going into a marriage or can't handle that level of commitment.

• well luckily my parents are still together but yes I agree with you a lot of people have been getting a divorce and it seems to be more than usual I'd say in the last few years divorce has gone up 20 or 30% marriage has no meaning in the United States anymore it's nothing special it kinda goes like this now two people fall in love get married have a kid or two then get divorced. It's really sad but that's the way our country works. Not everyone will get divorced but a lot will

• It's freaking depressing

• I don't know if making it illegal would be such a good idea... some marriages are truly toxic

• it's one of those things that if you make legal or illegal it's gonna be bad either way

• Not really, but it happens. I have friends who have been married since 18 and theyre still married even though I think thats way young. But I know a LOT of divorced 30 somethings. I think some people grow apart over time.

• someone did something either it was you're mom or you're dad ask?

What Girls Said 2

• You don't know if you'll separate or not. so you take a chance. it's your job now to prove that statistic wrong to your children

• yeah i understand my parents divorced too but if it's something they gonna do and it's make them happy. and you shouldn't be depressed because it's gonna make your parents worry about you.