Would you divorce someone over a disagreement in politics?

I actually know a couple who divorced over this.

911

Most Helpful Guy

• No, and this is absolutely ridiculous. I don't care how polar opposite my wife is in the area of politics, I separate MARRIAGE and POLITICS. They are entirely different things.

I do know a girl who won't date a guy, unless she has the same political ideology as her (and she said the guy must also despise Obama.) If you ask me, this is very narrow minded and shallow.

What Girls Said 9

• I wouldn't even get with them in the first place.

• what? no i would not.. i dont care about politics anyway..

• I would have never married them in the first place if we did not have the political views. Recipe for disaster.

• That's silly. You don't have to agree on everything, you just have to respect each other's opinion. If Mary Matalin and James Carville can do it...

• No, that's ridiculous. Not unless it was something major, like him not being for gay marriage - but I wouldn't date a guy like that in the first place.

• I would never marry a Tory lol

• doesn't seem like a legit reason to divorce someone

• I'd like to think I'd know this stuff before we got married.

• I make sure I know their political views before getting into anything serious.

What Guys Said 10

• I would like to think if it was that serious of an issue, we would have figured it out eventually before we got married and solved the problem then... but honestly 99% of the time it should not be a problem to that extent...

My first roommate was one of my best friends in undergrad and he was one of the most stereotypical conservative southerners possible, myself being a very liberal northerner, but we got on just fine as I said.

• If I were American, I'm not sure I'd ever get together with someone who identifies as a Democrat. They tend to support religion, genital mutilation, homophobia, and are against reforming the health care so it doesn't cost $8000 to get a procedure done that costs me like $80.

• political views are usually intertwined with core values.

You can't live with people who have different core values.

However a lot of people have a wrong political opinion in the sense that they actually don't know anything about economics, sociology, and history. They think they have an opinion but really..; they don't know shit and would probably reach a very different conclusion if somebody was explaining them political matters in detail.

• My mum supports UKIP and my dad was a member of Old Labour before he realised that politics is a load of bollocks. That wasn't the reason why they got divorced, mind.

• I don't even really believe in marriage and I'm not going to let politics dictate marriage

• I don't know why someone would marry another person without asking what their political views are. I wouldn't divorce over that.

• Wouldn't you know their political leanings BEFORE you got married?

• People divorce for every reason under the sun. Politics seems like a more reasonable criterion than most.

But whatever, anyone with a brain doesn't marry today, too many trashy, selfish people for it to work out.

• Yeah, if I found out she was a liberal it'd be over.

cdn77.sadanduseless.com/.../liberal2.jpg

• Nobody would There would have to be a lot of other things that are bothering them. If everything is perfect, you aren't going to split up because 1 tiny thing isn't.

It can be the straw breaking the camel's back, sure, but not the sole cause.