Do you think there is more of a stigma attached to a divorced men or divorced woman?

I think women have it the worst here.

34

Most Helpful Guy

• I would say there is more of a stigma against women who are divorced than men.

If a man is divorced, people assume it was for a good reason or he needed "freedom." If a woman gets divorced, she is seen as "selfish" and "immature", and people assume she's trashy for whatever reason.

What Guys Said 3

• Don't know about a stigma attached to the individual who is divorced, but if there are children, the woman takes it worse. If she has them, guys will avoid her. If he has them girls will either not worry about it, or actually be attracted to the guy who is "such a good father".

• I feel like most of that, though, is just because women typically get custody of the children so they generally have the kids. If the dad got custody, then people assume that he must have been a better parent than the mother in order to win custody so he MUST be a good father. But, that's probably just the reason why the stigma exists.

• Don't know if the reasoning there is correct, but I am only stating where the stigma is and why. @mangaka92

• I think men have it worst. people always assume the male is the party that breached contract and ruined the marriage

• Yeah, used up trash.

What Girls Said 3

• Not at all,... its totally common and expected :P

People who DONT want marriage or relationships are the ones
    who have a stigma attached to them.

• I disagree.

Since the majority of divorce is initiated by us girls, the stigma would be more male than female because "what did he do" or "why did she leave"
    It makes a girl wonder if he was abusive, and asshole, a lazy prick, or many other evils which caused the ex to leave.

If a divorce is initiated by the male usually the biggest reason is also negative against men, "He was one of those pricks, who thought he could find better".

The woman who initiates the divorce is always seen as the strong woman who got out of a bad relationship because she deserved better.
    The woman who is divorced by him is always seen as the poor victim of some prick who didn't know what he had.

• The women.