Are these good enough reasons to break up with a guy or are these fixable?

We've been dating for 5 years and things haven't progress for us. He says I am demanding because I want to have a future with him but I have been thinking and now I am not sure. My issues with him are that he lacks motivation (for years he can't get himself to finish his college degree or find a full time job), he has been collecting unemployment for years, never has money and is bad at budgetting, he doesn't trust me even though I am 100% faithful to him, he suffers from depression but is inconsistent with his meds, he drinks excessively at times not always but when he does his personality changes, had blackouts and doesn't remember what he did the night before.

Are any of these things fixable? Or should I move on? He is in his late 30's.

34

Most Helpful Girl

• He's already too old to change... He's stick k bis ways.. U deserve much better thna that... I kno its hard bit leaving him might b better for u...

What Guys Said 4

• I agree with the opinions of the women in this Q. The things you mentioned are fixable, but HE is the one who has to make the changes. There's nothing there you can do for him. If he's not willing to do those things on his own, you doing them FOR him isn't helping the situation at all. Do NOT be his enabler. After 5 years and he's still like this? You don't need to be miserable in a relationship.

• I think its time to move on. He hasn't tried to change or improve at all, hell im in a better aituation then him and im only a teenager lol. Yeah aorry about. you wasting five years with him, but its time to move on.

• He says he lacks motivation. Is depressed but doesn't take his meds. I think there's so much I can do.

• Yeah but your boyfriend should act childish by not taking his meds. That should be something he does on his own and doesn't require help from his girlfriend.

• It can be fixed, but he needs to want it too

• They are fixable

What Girls Said 2

• All those things are fixable, but he's the one who has to do the fixing. You can't do that for him.

Whether to end it is your choice, of course, but as you know there are plenty of guys out there who do have their lives together or are at least heading in that direction.

If I were in your situation I would be thinking that 5 years of my life is more than enough to have put into a relationship that appears to have no real future.

• It really depends on how much more time you'd like to spend on him. People won't change unless they want to change themselves, if he feels like you're nagging him, then that could push him further away. All of these things are indeed fixable but only if he wants to fix it himself.