Do you think that GAG is, in some way, preventing people from moving on after the breakup?

• Yes, because you get constantly reminded and can't let go
  • No, because others opinions help with clearing the dust

64

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think GAG prevents people from moving on, No one or anything can stop a person from moving on. Moving on is choice. Behaviour is voluntary, you choose start a relationship, you can choose to continue a relationship, or you can choose to end a relationship.

"There are no victims in relationships, there are only volunteers". Everyone at some point in their lives, allowed others to treat them like shit. Obviously children are not volunteers, they are helpless and innocent to abusive people. Evil people take advantage of innocent people and helpless people.

I think most people use gag, to help them make the right decisions, give them insight from their experiences. We all need help and advice, but it doesn't mean we are weak, and we can't move on.

Most Helpful Girl

• The thing that I noticed is that those who don't seem to want to move on are those who don't even care for the opinions on here. There are two girls are the moment in particular that keep posting the same question (several times a day) and everyone tells them to move on. But they don't care, they don't really reply to any opinions; they just post the question (slightly rephrased or with additional info) again. It's like they're hoping that someone will finally write that there is hope, that the guy still loves them, will leave their new girlfriend for them, etc. To those girls, it would probably be best if they didn't have access to this site, but I'm not sure if it would make much of a difference.

I don't think you can generalise. I am sure that to some people this site helps to gain some insight, or see things from a different perspective, or just to get things off their chest. But there are certainly also those who just come here looking to hear/read a specific thing and don't actually want help.

• Yeah I think about the same girls I keep seeing posting here. There are some guys as well. I think those people need professional help tbh and that posting here just makes it worst for them. I think if they just went somewhere or did something that doesn't involve talking about their ex would help them move on.

• Yeah I posted some questions too from my last breakup, but honestly it's not what people said here that helped me heal (I'm still healing) but knowing that I'm not the only one who's been through that and it's nice having people to share experience with, especially when you don't want nag your friends and family about it. But I gotta admit that (from some of my questions) there were some people giving me false hope. So, being in that state where we naturally cling to hope, I began thinking irrationally. So I figured it's maybe better to switch to other topics that have nothing to with "getting over an ex". I am feeling better now and now I advice people what I would I advice myself back then. So by telling them and sharing my experiences, it actually helps me with my shaken self-esteem. It feels going knowing that my bad experience can maybe help someone, and that it wasn't all in vain.

• It's pretty dangerous in a way because some people do come here to hear/read that everything will be ok and the dumper will miss them and discover it was the biggest mistake to let them go. Realistically, that isn't very likely to happen. So I guess it makes them feel good because some person on the internet says there is hope. I admit that when I was totally down I loved reading those opinions where people said I shouldn't give up, and when I read those saying I should move on I thought "they don't really know MY situation or else they'd not say that. Maybe others should move on but *my* situation is different". Of course the ones who said I should move on were spot on. Everyone should move on, even if there is hope. I like to help people with my bad experiences as well, but I feel like some (especially those who post the same over & over) are thinking I'm clueless and their situations is different than mine. Just like I did. What helped me in the end was time.

What Guys Said 3

• You know... there's a saying.
    People only ask questions they already have the answer to.

GaG as much as it's a diverse community who motivate changes in a certain way by sharing of experiences to show the askers what they are going through is not special and how there's a right way to do things , and a wrong way...
    GaG cannot change human nature.

• I don't think so if someone posts about getting over a break up I have observed that that usually gets a positive response and people here do seem helpful to that person in moving on. Hence, I don't think GAG is preventing people from moving on in any way.

• If your in pain and can't sleep and really feeling upset Its good to have a site like this to turn to so you can try to get something off of your chest

What Girls Said 5

• In being on GAG for way over a year and having gotten to Where I am right now here, dear, I have been Told by many people that I have helped in this sticky situation as in 'Moving on after the breakup,' that I have Helped them Realize so many things that they hadn't Realized before. They had told me that I had made it Easier for them to push on and start over and even had given Some a shimmer of hope that with Someone they had been with for so very long, that with His and Her history, it may not be totally over and that friendship could even follow. xx

• i dont think people here are given enough credit for how helpful they can be. i can seriously say that getting advice, reassurance or comfort from people here does add that little bit of brightness into my day. i mean that.

• If anything, GaG helps them move on. When a person asks a question on GaG about their relationship status it is usually because it is their last resort and they need an unbiased answer to their situation. GaG provides that.

• It depends on the person. Some people get in their own way.

• No, because people on G@G are only responsible for what they say, not for how other people respond to what they say. If people are finding G@G a burden and it's causing them more pain.. then they can deactivate.

Personally, i have benefitted from the advice of people on G@G, they have helped me to clear my mind, and see things from another perspective. If anyone has a negative affect on me i either block them, or just dont value their opinion.