What's the reason you broke up with your last BF/ GF?

Was the reason you broke up the same as the reason you told them you were breaking up or did you tell a white lie to spare their feelings?

3527

Most Helpful Guy

• She never made me feel wanted and it was me putting in all the effort in the relationship

• Yeah been there that sux.

Most Helpful Girl

• The reason I broke up with my last boyfriend was because it wasn't working out and he was talking to other girls and had an active dating profile. Well, I found out about the talking to other girls and dating profile after the break up. But I knew something was up.

Basically what happened was we were together and the whole time he was still looking for girls. He was messaging them, making plans, and trying to set up dates.

Finally he met this one girl and she agreed to meet him. They hung out a few times and he wanted to be with her so he broke up with me.

The relationship wasn't working out. He wasn't nice to me and didn't treat me with respect. I was upset after I found out. Basically he broke up with me and when the other girl didn't want him (he told her he left me for her), he then tried to come back, but I refused.

The relationship we had sucked and we didn't really have a relationship according to him and his actions.

What Guys Said 26

• I broke up with her because she was extremely emotionally abusive well as manipulative.

She would constantly break up with me for NO reason, just to take me back and give me the bullshit excuse (that I unfortunately bought for a while) that "it wasn't her, it was her anxiety/depression" that was making her act that way. Which is fucking bullshit because I have social anxiety as well as depression and I have NEVER acted that way. Towards her nor ANYONE.

She would go from being all sweet and loving one day to all "Fuck you, I fucking hate you" the next. Again, for NO reason.

Every time I had tried to leave, she would guilt trip me by saying that it was because of me that she finally felt like she didn't have to cut herself, that it was because of me that she stopped having suicidal thoughts, and that she might start cutting herself again if I leave her. And it would work on me, so I would reluctantly stay.

One day I decided "Fuck this shit, and fuck her", and I not only broke up with her, but I did not let her manipulate me into staying with her. That was 5 months of hell that I wish never happened. I guess there IS a bright side to all of that shit: I now know what I deserve and I will never let anyone treat me that way ever again.

The biggest reason why I would stay with her, besides the fact that I didn't want to be blamed if she killed herself, was because I had made this stupid promise to myself when I was younger that when the day came where I would finally have a girlfriend, that I would do everything I can to be the perfect boyfriend and that I would not give up on the relationship, no matter how bad it was.

I know, that was stupid of me. But yeah, I finally managed to leave her. And then 2 days later my grandmother, who I lived with since I was 3, died. So I did not exactly have the best week ever.

• She sounds crazy...

• I had a psycho girlfriend once :') believe me , you would be frightened if you wake up lately at night and notice that she's lookin' at you all the night , even when we broke up she called me , told me that i will murder you

• She passed away 😭 She was perfect and the ONE for me but... destiny and fate have different ambitions :'(
    What can I do now? :(

• She could be really mean and pretty selfish. And more often than not, she was being less kind as we'd be slightly more "serious."

She'd badmouth her friends, call them horrible things, then it's huggy huggy kissy kissy a moment later. They say that's normal, but I don't like that. Why should that be excused? If that's what girls do all the time, then I don't know if I want a relationship.

She'd also be pining away for other guys while we dated. Not cute stuff like crushes on celebrities ("If I died and you could somehow meet and date _________, would you? kind of hypothetical stuff), but she'd mention how she was crazy for this friend and that friend, and they turned her down. She'd claim to be over it, but half the time she wouldn't stop talking about them.

She'd get SUPER jealous of girl friends. Like... women that are already married, 15 years older than me, whom I've known for decades. I've never flirted with them, nor acted interested. Women who were the least intimidating people to our "relationship."

The things on all those lists of things not to do when dating, she'd do a good majority of them.

I felt like the games and behavior wasn't worth the few good times.

• *reading through the horror stories

Okay... so I guess these are the things I'll have to look out for then.

• She was kinda insane. The relationship was only a month and a half but my god, did a lot of shit happen! When we broke up, I was honest about why I felt that way.

• Well, the first ex girlfriend was due to her mom
    and the second one i caught she was going
    to break up with me if she has another man

• She was a junkie that hid it well

• She was fricken nuts and controlling.

• He was a jerk. That's all there is to it.

• She was unsuitable and un willing for any type of long term relationship.

• SLOOTS GONNA SLOOT!

she cheated on me
    i should have known since she was always a sloot
    i think girls like her are born whores on the inside, like its their destiny to fuck around with a bunch of guys and only be worth their bodies

i mean the only reason why i dated her was cause she had a nice ass and tits, but i ended up falling in love with her, biggest mistake ever!

• She stopped talking to me for some reason so. :/.

• Cheating, she cheated behind my back so we broke up.

• I like to keep things simple, so i just broke up because of us being too "different". I guess its the easiest thing to say to some one you once loved?

• She was too damn loud!

• she was a crazy bitch

• I broke up with my girlfriend before because I felt I wasn't good enough for her, that she deserved better then what my immaturity/poor decisions had to offer.

• Cheating. And I was honest as hell about it.

• Well, the last woman I dated I can't really say I broke up with her. We weren't in a relationship, we were dating. We stopped dating due to differences in religion and levels of physicality. We're still friendly to one another.

• I dunno. i went to a party made by a friend of mine and i took my previous girlfriend with me. my friend gave me money to buy him some chips. and that took time cause the market was far. when i came back i went to my friend's bedroom to give him the change , and i found him havin sex with my girlfriend

• My manhood was to big and she decided not to have sex or give blow jobs

• She cheated on me with a guy who had a history of way too many partners, and not all of them clean. Didn't tell me either, was nice enough to change it on facebook.
    Because apparently calling someone and telling them that it's over and why is a bygone thing.

• She was kinda a sex crazed person, wanted sex more than love so I broke it off with her

• she was cheating on me

• She broke up with me. It was too complicated for her apparently.

• I lied about shit that never really happened to get MHO and she found out. lmao

What Girls Said 34

• I was honest with him and told him the real truth. It was really hard coz I really liked him, he was right for me in nearly every way, he was ready to marry me, and I wouldn't listen to his ex who i am friends with through him.

He was 32 yo, i was 20 yo. After we had gone out a while, he wanted anal all the time, even over regular sex. It was okay until he got roaring drunk one night and hit me a lot, then raped my ass several times. After when I was crying coz i hurt, he beat my ass so i had bruises AND then had anal again. It was rape coz I had no time to prepare and he got off on hurting me and from hitting me.

He has dated 4 to 5 other girls in less than a yr since we broke up. All of the girls are 20 yo or less and either Korean or Vietnamese. He is too controlling for me!

• I wanted a real, committed relationship...

He just wanted to fuck me.

• get used to it or lie to a man about your past forever.

• @dudeman oh, lying wasn't an option, he was one of my best friends during high school, and we dated after for a bit.

I wanted to rekindle what we had..

• I was putting in most of the effort in the end and didn't feel like he really appreciated or wanted to know me as a person, and the relationship was becoming more stressful to me than anything.
    He had "things he wanted to do and figure out in his life", and apparently "didn't really want to see anyone else" but "still wanted to be friends" (Bullshit - we haven't spoken since)

• Yeah thanks that's true. You have to realize the toll it is taking on you to be with someone and always feeling of you quit putting in the fort you would never see them again. When you are developing feelings for someone it can really drive you mad.

If I did hold back and wait for the guy to make plans I would always think, "okay is this it? Am I not going to see him again?". Ultimately I was right. He just wasn't that into it. He wanted to be but wasn't. I wish he would have told me sooner but felt better when he finally did. It was like okay so I'm not imagining this and why would I want to be with someone who doesn't want me. Lots of other men do and what I thought we had was a selfdiluted lie.

• Yeah, that sucks - I completely get what you mean about wishing he had said something sooner. For me it could have ended a month sooner - and I had even asked him a few times iif everything was okay with us and he said it was. But it was almost like he was too scared to end it himself and decided that ignoring me would be better so that I would bring up the breakup instead of him lol :P And you're right, who wants to be around someone who doesn't want you?

• I told him I didn't want to have kids. That was a lie. I didn't want to have his kids.

• Lying, hiding stuff, always checking out other girls, hitting on other girls, talking bad about me to his family, drama queen, abusive both emotional, verbally, never felt like i was food enough, broke me down and my self esteem. I lost interest, and dumped him.

• Good for you. In a relationship you should always be asking yourself if that person is building you up or breaking you down.

• Yeah took me awhile though. Like i starting feeling like i was ugly and he would always say in every argument" no one will ever love you" ( cause I have depression) and he would just say shit like that and his excuse would be " I was just angry, I didn't mean that" now that im single again, my confidence is slowly coming back I dont have much anxiety around people. And im just waiting for the right person to come along. Good things come to those who wait.

• He wouldn't give me ANY personal space. I need my own time and my own space and he wouldn't respect that. He was all over me, all the time, and didn't respect my requests to leave me be once in a while, give me space, and to not spend unnecessary money on me. Ultimately he got upset and we broke it off.

• Because he's a fucking asshole

• I was honest. He cheated, I tried to forgive. He cheated again so I said I couldn't and wouldn't be with him anymore. I don't want false love and I know my worth. He didn't understand it but I didn't care. Staying would've made me bitter while resenting him and it would have been a very toxic relationship, and I told him that.

• Good for you!

• I love, "he didn't understand it but I didn't care".

• He was a man-child.

• I'm never the one doing the breaking up, but the last guy who broke up with me told me that he just wasn't ready to be in a relationship because he wasn't over his marriage yet. I took that as a gentle way for him to tell me he just wasn't that in to me, but just recently learned that he and his wife finalized their divorce and he was just telling some of his friends and family who hadn't even known they were on their way to divorce, so maybe he was telling the truth. Doesn't really matter, really - either way the message was he wasn't among my options, which was too bad, 'cause he was (is) really great.

• I caught him talking and flirting with other women, telling them he was looking for a relationship and all that crap so I dumped him via text because he didn't deserve a proper breakup.

• He was really manipulative towards me. I couldn't handle it. He was also a rebound and I never liked him, but I tricked myself into thinking I did.

• i broke up (even if i think that "dump" would be the most appropriate word for this).. the reason? he cheated on me

• I broke up with my boyfriend cause he always neglected me... But that was a year ago and life goes on

• My ex is a misogynist and abusive. The break up was sort of mutual so there was no need for me to really say why. When we went our separate ways because of something bad that happened, the idea of us just getting past it and still being together was up in the air but I took that opportunity to just get away from him.

• He wasn't on my level.

• he was a jerk

• Ate all my cereal.

• I broke up because the person would change every time they would smoke. It was annoying as hell. And they were lying the whole time about little things. I hate being lied to. If it's bad then just tell me, right? It's better than being lied to.

• He cheated. He knew exactly why I broke it off. I very rarely mince words.

• I never actually broke up with my ex, I just didn't keep in touch when he went back home like we promised to. (it was summer love) I just couldn't bare long distance, so I blocked him on every social media and stopped answering his texts and phone calls. Yes I was a major bitch to him and it still hurts sometimes but this kind of relationships don't last so it's better like this. At least he did move on! :)

• Nothing interesting to talk about, has no passion and didn't want to listen to me talk about mine, bad sex and long distance. I was honest about all of them

• He was too dominant. Just not my type. We both decided to break it off without any hard feelings.

• Yeah... I thought I might lovey ex but it took me less than 24 hrs to realize I was free and my life would be better. I met so many awesome guys when I was with him but I was intensely loyal.

He will NEVER have a healthy intimate relationship in his life. He wants one though and I was patient with him. But if a girl coughs in the wrong direction he is done with them. He literally told me he was lookin for a perfect woman like Angelina Jolie and nothing else would do. Never mind he is borderline obese. I'm a size 2, smart, awesome well paying job, caring...

But I liked him because he is crazy smart in so many ways. But if there is nothing in the heart the head doesn't matter. I think he is Aspebergers.

• He cheated on me. I dumped him, end of.

• We moved 7000 km away from each other 😔

• long distance relationship

• he cheated on me...

• I broke up with my ex because we were pretty different people and I knew we didn't have a future together. I told him this exactly.

• because he wasn't real.. can't date a guy thats not real :(

• He was manipulative and abusive. So glad it has ended.

• More from Girls
    4