How long does it take you to get over a breakup with someone you really liked?

45

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on how much you loved them. If it came out of the blue. Also depends if you feel you've done as much as you could to save the relationship. If you no longer want it or he no longer wants it.

• I would like to add. Have you tried talking to them?

• Thanks I already did in the nicest way but still being really honest. I don't think he took any of it to heart but I let him know that I truly cared for him in a non romantic way and want him to be happy. But honestly his dating history reads like this for over 10 years and he is 32. His high school girlfriend followed him to college and broke his heart after 3 years. He hates women and has no sisters. I figured it only takes one good woman to soften his heart but it is so hardened he doesn't even realize when a woman is giving herself to him. He would never be an active participant in deciding dates the. Would resent me of we ended up doing what I wanted to do then cut me down later. I made him beore decisive and cnntribute more but that also bore resentment. I only knew how much once we broke up and he told me he knew he was treating me bad and why... I told him knowing that maybe we could work on it but no. He is just carrying that pain around and until he lets it go he'll never be happy.

• Your job isn't to fix him. He has to participate in his own rescue. You said what you need to say. Its up to him now. I commend you for telling him. Might be a good idea to go no contact with him. Just look after yourself and enjoy YOUR life. Ignore his messages etc.

Most Helpful Girl

• It took me about a year to get over my ex. Granted, we spent a lot of that time in the gray area of ''will we or won't we get back together?'' I met a new guy, which definitely helped, but I was still waffling between him and my ex for a while. (I know, I'm a jerk.) Then, one day, I woke up and just decided I was done with all of the games my ex was playing and wanted to give the new guy a chance. I don't know what really did it, but making that decision for myself and consciously choosing to stop wondering ''what if'' helped a lot.

• Aw yes the, "what if" factor. We want to believe so badly that our partner feels the same way. But then when they don't we second guess our gut feeling.

What Guys Said 4

• It would depend on how long you were together and the reasons for the breakup, whether it came without warning or you talked about it for a while, etc.

• I guess that depends on the relationship. Even if the break up was with someone you didn't like. There's a two year rule out there for LTR break-ups, which feels about the right amount of time in my experience for a complete 'getting over'. Could be shorter or longer depending on the individual and circumstances.

• How long is a piece of string? It could take a long time or it could take a very short time if you meet someone you really like.

• Month or two

What Girls Said 3

• They say it takes half the time you were in a relationship with someone. So for example, if you dated someone for a year, it takes 6 months to get over them. Generally, it will take about 3 to 7 months to get over someone. Everyone takes a break up differently. Some people only need a month or 2 to get over someone. Sometimes it can even take them a week.

• from weeks to months to a year

• It takes me a month or two if u really like them but if u didn't it takes about 2-3weeks