Should alimony be banned?

• Yes, it should be
  • No, it shouldn't

28

Most Helpful Guy

• No alimony shouldn't be banned. But the courts needs to be more fair, weighing out the income of each partner, vs. the standard of living for their area in which they lived during the marriage.

Alimony is meant to prevent men, from leaving their stay-at-home wives penniless after divorce. I see it's purpose.

But the system in which alimony is calculated and ruled, needs to change!

• Many courts do award men alimony. Legally courts aren't allowed to have a bias towards women and have been prohibited from favoring them for decades, though of course some judges do so anyway even though they aren't supposed to.

It's not really a court issue though. It's a social problem. A lot of men who are eligible for alimony refuse to pursue it due to pride or fear of judgment from their peers or family. Even when their divorce attorneys encourage them to seek alimony, many men refuse (but that's started to change in the last decade or so).

Most Helpful Girl

• It should be looked at on a case-by-case basis. If one spouse makes an agreement with the other r to stay home for 25 years and watch the kids, that person takes a definite hit on his or her value in the job market. If the working spouse runs off with another woman when the kids are grown, the one who stayed home is going to be in a bind. But if both partners were working the whole time, that's a different scenario.

• Another woman or man, that should say. I first wrote it from the perspective of a stay at home mom, as this is more common right now... but alimony is starting to be awarded on occasion in the other direction as well, from what I've been reading.

What Guys Said 7

• Like all legislation that concerns where money should go, this one gets abused. I don't think banning such things are really a solution. But the system definitely needs an overhaul.

• I believe it should, but at the very least, they need to put a time limit on it, say 2 years.

This whole "keep them in the lifestyle they've become accustomed to" is bullshit. Lifestyles go up and down, it happens in life, people need to accept that.

It's not fair to expect someone (ie mostly men) to have to pay for someone else's lifestyle just because the marriage ended.

• If the wife is the sole reason for the divorce, like say she cheated. She shouldn't get a dime, that's just me though.

• Yes, I think so. After all, why should a person pay their former ex just because she decides she doesn't want to work for the rest of her life or at least not work as much?

• Yes the Alamo should be banned

• No thanks to "allyourmoney" can live the sweetlife on my ex wife's dollar-equal rights and all lol.

• I think it should be investigated and granted case by case, of course this would use a lot of the court's time and resources.

What Girls Said 1

• Nope. Why would you marry someone into a certain life style and then leave them with nothing? It's there to support the person and that's necessary.

• I do think that if someone cheats or does something horrid, they shouldn't get it. But there are vindictive people who will try and leave their ex spouse with nothing.