Would you divorce someone because they weren't making enough money?

I'll confess: I would. Money is important.

4873

Most Helpful Guy

• Laying on your deathbed would you regret not having enough money, or enough happiness? The two are not mutually exclusive or inclusive, but if you would give up a good partner because he doesn't make enough money then you really need to examine your priorities.

The only good thing money can buy is freedom from having to worry about money, the rest is just noise.

I'm about to quit a six figure job because it takes up too much of my time and I'm not passionate about it anymore. My personal growth, time, and relationships have come to mean a lot more to me than dead presidents on paper.

Most Helpful Girl

• No.

Money management is what's important. I would be leery of a man who made a lot and spent it like it wasn't a big deal. I would be leery of a man who made a little and spent it like it wasn't a big deal.

I enjoy having a nest egg of money that I don't touch. I like having a sum to fall back on in the even that I need to. I get nervous if it's not there or if I dip into it.

You can survive on any income as long as you live within your means.

And aren't YOU also contributing to the family income?

What Guys Said 72

• Probably not.. I might divorce someone if they were a drug addict or something and spending all of our money frivolously.

I don't desire grandeur in life just want to be able to live relatively comfortably with enough leftover to buy some toys every now and then.

• If money is so important to you, get off your butt and you go out and make the money.

• No that isn't right for someone to do to a partner and if money means more
    then God Bless your heart ,

• money is important, but I wouldn't. I only say that because im already creating a solid future for myself and anyone else who will share it with me. always have a contingency plan, financial stability. +1

• 7|5
  • Nope, I would however break up with her if she quit her job and just won't contribute.

• Hard to say. I care more about effort to better oneself in all ways (finances included), than the results itself.

If my wife was spending like crazy and wasn't bringing in enough, I'd try for a long time to see if we can solve the money issue. But everything has a breaking point!

Don't forget that financial stress is one of the biggest issues that is a root cause of divorce!

• So when you take your vows, you're crossing your fingers behind your back so that your promises don't really count? With an attitude like that, you are almost guaranteed to fail.

• It's okay but my heart goes out to anyone who marries you

• No, cause money is evil thing, if sit there marry a guy for his money then the guy can marry you for sex. yes it's job to supply and provide for you but a marriage is being with somebody through thick and thin. Help him get a job, help him see hope In life, be his other soul when his light is going out. if money is part of the reason your with him that's not a healthy relationship let me tell you that.

• Pretty superficial. If they were lazy and unmotivated in general then maybe. Maybe you should step up as part of the partnership and help.

This is why I'm really careful about a SO. I don't want someone just after my money. That's not lasting happiness.

• I wouldn't marry her in the place, if she thinks I am going to be the sole earn. I don't mind supporting if it means, bring up our children, but other than that, she must contribute. i would divorce in extreme circumstances, but try resolve the issues before going down that root.

A divorce should only come in if nothing works, and both of you can't come to solution. If you have tried everything to make the marriage work, and nothing works, then yes get a divorce.

• As we get older, sometimes we begin to see and truly accept what everyone told us all along. For me, one is that happiness is important. Money can't buy it (at least not for very long... so you may as well rent). It's easy to get hung up on trying to have money for more things. There's always more to be sought. However, I recognized my views are not the same as some others who may be looking for that Brave New World. ... might be a good read, by the way.

• It would depend on the circumstances. If she had a good job, but earned less than I did, I would be fine with that. If she refused to work and just spent the money I made until we were in the poorhouse, I would resent her, and we would eventually split up.

• contrarily, I would only divorce someone if they were making enough money. That wouldn't be the cause of the divorce, but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving someone if they didn't have the means to support themselves.

• If I marry this woman, I will remain married to her until death do us part. We should have our lives figured out already by then. So, nothing will get in the way of our marriage... nothing - except death. Divorcing someone because they don't make enough money is pathetic, and is never a good reason for such. You must not truly understand the whole marriage concept.

• Nah usually its the women who leave because the guy isn't making enough money... its like why would you do that? To me though money is important it isn't everything. I find it to be great but I think people overplay themselves when they divorce their partner over financial reasons... it makes no sense to me.

• No. Money is not as important to 'me' unless it controls how 'I' think, act, and feel about 'myself' and against others.

• Lol, You care more about how much money they make as oppose to who they are as a person?

#GoldDiggerProblems

• money is not everything if you would divorce him you shouldn't have promised him to stay with him in sickness and in health good or bad

• Lol. No? I dont care if she earns more than me and also I dont care if she earns nothing. Because I won't marry a Woman until Im financially stable enough. And because of this I can allow myself saying that I dont care.

• that's pitiful reason as well as an artificial one.

• Gold digging whore detected.

• I'm the man so no. I expect to be divorced because of that.
    I would divorce a woman for not cooking or feeding her family. I know we all have many "jobs" in life.
    However, if a woman had to have one job in the family, feeding the family is it.
    The man's one job, if he had it, is to provide the food.

• Not a chance in hell

• It be easier for a girl to do than a guy who is traditionally a provider. That's why you shouldn't get married unless you have your finances in check. Plus not living beyond your means. I wouldn't want to marry a woman who cared about how much I make anyways. Even if I'm well of or bettering myself not a woman I'd want by my side when things are rough... such as finances probably didn't marry me for love

• Nahhh that doesn't matter to be unless you have no signs of progression. Just do something, anything and that's good enough for me

• I hope to never get married in the first place.

Love seems so fake and fickle.

• only womne will do this for obvious reasons

• well if you´re using your partner as your personal ATM, then this sounds logical.

• More from Guys
    42

What Girls Said 47

• No, as long as my husband was working his hardest, I would stay with him.

I don't need my husband to make more than me or the same as me. All I need my partner to do is try and in the process, help me build something.

• I make double what my boyfriend does and it isn't a problem at all

• WTF... never.. i would never do that..

• If divorced someone because of money, then you didn't really love them and should never have married them in the first place.

• If I'm pulling my weight and they can't pull theirs - and we can't make enough to survive... we'd have to reevaluate what we're doing.

• It really depends. I don't think I would unless the person was spending all of our money and we were at a point where we had no money to cover bills and to buy food.

I would hope that if it came to having a dispute over money, that I would be able to talk to the other person and make a plan.

People fall on hard times, it happens. The only thing you can really do is work hard to move past it and do what you can to support one another.

• If we were struggling financially and they refused or didn't care about getting a higher paying job to help support the household. For me it's fine if one partner is happy with a lower paying job as long as we are still able to have a decent quality of life. I wouldn't leave them if they just had difficulty finding a job that pays higher or liked their job but it just doesn't pay a lot.

• Why get married in the first place, if you plan on running away at the first sight of adversity?

"Sanctity of marriage" <--- LMAO.

• it depends on the reason they weren't making enough. but proabably not. in ur vows you say for richer or for poorer, whats the point in getting making and taking vows you don't plan on standing by

• No way, that is so redundant. I would not marry someone for their money, I'd marry them because I love them and want to spend the rest of my life with them 'for better or worse'.

• You're the only sane one. I hope you find the love you so crave in your heart.

• I want to have a job where I'm financially stable I'm make enough money that I won't care how much my hubby makes. :)
    I wouldn't divorce for that reason.
    I would rather have a loving relationship with a poor person, than a loveless one with a millionaire!!

• If I can't afford it myself than I don't need it. I'm my own bank, not my husband. The only thing we owe each other is love, honesty, and loyalty. If you can't do that then don't get into a relationship. Yes sometimes we will surprise each other with a nice gift or dinner or something fun. But we take care of ourselves and each other equally. It's a partnership

• If you married that person then you knew their financial status. To divorce them over money is stupid and proves that you married frivolously. I think if a person works hard and full time and struggles than I personally don't mind being the bread winner. It's different if they are lazy and not willing to work or choosy on the jobs they decide to apply for or work at cause then you start to feel used or taken for granted. But if they just have a job that pays less but are putting in the hours I don't care as long as I know they love me and I love them... it's called partners.

• well i wouldn't marry them in the first place if our financial needs couldn't be met TOGETHER.
    saves the hassle of a divorce.

• You don't marry someone for money, you marry them for love. Unless you're some kind of cheap gold digger. People need to remember their vows, "For better, and for worse." remember?

• No I would not.

My boyfriend earns less than me; it’s not a problem of either of us. I love him, not his earning potential.

I would rather be poor and with him, than rich and not.

After reading a few responses I am amazed at how shallow some people are.

It’s only money.

• I honestly wouldn't, I know the type of person I 'marry' will have a lot of drive and ambition. If we ended up not making enough money I don't believe it would be for long. I would help him get back on his feet (if i'm in the right place to do so). I'll wait till we fall on better times.

• When you marry someone part of the actual vow you say is "for rich or for poor." If you would divorce someone because of finances I feel like you should not even get married in the first place because you would need a better understanding of the actual marriage commitment.

• I don't care honestly, as long as someone works and can help with the bills a little then i'm fine. I make decent money and I don't have an issue paying for more of the bills because of that.

• No. I wouldn't marry someone in the first place who didn't have some kind of ambition, bu as long as he's a productive member of society and contributes his part to our relationship, including financially, then I really don't care what he makes.

• no i wouldn't, because what's worse is being with someone who has no drive or motivation in life. i would want to be with someone who is educated, and works hard and wants to better themselves, because that usually translates into them being in a relatively stable financial position and just being an overall good human being, (besides maybe a few hang ups here and there). as cliché as it sounds, money is important, but it can't buy u love.

• No it's a weak reason. A person can always potentially earn more in future depending how ambitious they are.

• Ok, before you even get married, you both should know and discuss your goals in life. If your partner is already not the type of person who strives a good paid job, or has a great diploma, then you guys most likely will struggle in the future.

So this needs to be discussed beforehand. I dont believe in divorce (unless cheating or abuse happens) so if you knew about his qualifocations and future then you better stick with him

• yeah right and leave the person i love the most all alone because we're struggling financially, just telling you this, you'll never be happy if you keep being a gold digger

• I would not. What's much more important is what kind of person he is.

There are those who are fabulously wealthy that are absolutely insufferable. I would rather live in a dumpster with a good man than in a palace with a d*ckhead.

• No because if you're willing to lose him/her for that pathetic reason then you clearly aren't that in love and your marriage was a fucking waste and lie, well on your end anyway, if you do ditch him/her for not making enough money then you're a gold digging cunt and honestly that's disgusting, if you truly love him/her you're suppose to be with him/her thick and thin through all the struggles, broke or loaded, until death and if money was so important to you GET OFF YOUR FUCKING ASS and get a job yourself then.

• "For richer, for poorer"

I would take my vows seriously.

• No as long as they were trying. Money doesn't mean much to me when it comes to friends and relationships

• No! Ofcourse money is important but then why marry him in the first place if you don't think he makes enough money? if he's going through hard times then remember the promise you made the day you got married?

Also I'm trying to do well to get paid well so that through hard times, it would be easier.

You say that now but if you really love the person I don't think it would be that easy!

• I wouldn't divorce someone if they weren't making enough money. I'd have a talk with my husband and we'd better budget our finances in accordance, or he could look for a new job; but I wouldn't put an end to my marriage just for that. Sure money helps in a relationship, but that's not what made me fall in love with him.

• More from Girls
    17