What do you think of dumping someone by text, social media or over the phone?

• A person that dumps someone this way is a coward! Show them some respect and do it face to face!
  • I have neutral feelings about this.
  • It is fine to dump someone this way, it is just part of modern society.
    Vote C
  • I am not sure/just want to see the answers.
    Vote D

128

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it depends, in most cases in person, but as for experience my last ex I broke up with him via text then phone call because I knew he would never let me leave, and I didn't want to see him, the last time I had we got in a argument and when I went to try to leave he blocked the door so I couldn't leave, and pushed me. I broke up with him a week later and he's still calling every week it was every day and it's been since very beginning of June, he actually called last night, I have his number blocked.

• Yes well I do not blame you for not breaking up with him face to face after what you went through. I did not realise he was still calling you. Sorry to hear that.

• thank you

• No problem.

Most Helpful Guy

• A person that dumps someone this way is a coward! Show them some respect and do it face to face! or at least by phone depending how long you have been together

• I agree with you.

• Thanks mate. Yeah this girl was a long time ago now but I was just thinking about it. I tend to hold grudges against females. I am not like that towards men but if a female does something wrong she is in my bad books pretty much for the rest of her life.

• Thank you for MH my friend

What Girls Said 11

• Face to Face is the way to Go, as we all know, @Applefan1 xx

• Lol you and myself and many others may know that but it seems not everyone does. I was dumped by text. :(

• Face to face is the hardest thing you'll ever do but it is the most respectful of your relationship and the other person. If you care for them at all you need to do this in person... as heartbreaking as it is, it is the only way to show that you respect them and you respect the relationship you had for however long you've been in it. I've heard opinions of people that depending on how long you've been seeing someone, you can end the relationship over the phone - like a few months, that's fine... I think that is so STUPID... just because they haven't been together for years, does not give people the right to dismiss a relationship that may have meant the world to someone by ending it over text/email/skype... this social media generation of ours is allowing people to rationalize being emotionless, uncaring people. Always say what you need to say in person, it's just the right thing to do no matter what anyone says :)

• Face-to-face.

HOWEVER, if I were going to end my relationship (I'm not) I would end it electronically in some fashion. Most likely via Skype. Why? Because he's currently in Ohio and I'm in Michigan. Can't really drive 7 hours to dump him. I mean, I could, but I wouldn't.

Electronic dumping is only allowed in long distance relationships.

• It all depends on the situation. I've dumped someone through text, but I had a valid reason to. There are always exceptions to a rule.

• It depends on the person and the reason. If you know they have a controlling, dramatic nature, they'll draw it out taking you as a hostage, complicate it, etc, then the smart thing to do is to make a clean cut via text or email.

• fucking heartless is what i think.

• Happened to me! A girl did it to me. :(

• doesn't matter. at least it should be done with dignity.
      u dont seem to care as much as i thought u would. guess ur fine then.

• Yes it should be done with dignity and that is what bothered me. Well I care and it hurt at the time. It was a long time ago now but I just remembered it now for some reason. You know how things in the past come back to your memory every so often. The reason she was a deal breaker for me is because she moaned and complained too much.

• Yeah it's pretty mean.

• If that's your most common form of communication I think it's acceptable. If your face to face with them more often then not, then I don't think it's a respectable route.

• Assuming their not in a long distance relationship, it's kinda disrespectful. If they've given up part of their life to be with you then they deserve to be told in person.

• I am pleased the majority of people think it is disrespectful.

• I think it's very cowardly. I mean come on, say it to their face. They at least deserve that much respect.

• It's like spitting in their face.

• I agree! I think people like this need to show respect and stop being cowards.

What Guys Said 7

• If and when I have to break someones heart it's never by text or worse social media, no reason to had public embarrassment on top of that.

If I have to do it I prefer doing it face to face, I'd owe them at least that, if that's not possible then by phone.

• Problem is, if you decide you don't like someone very early into the relationship (say 1,2,3 dates in) then your probably don't want to spend another 2 hours with them, whether it be before or after breaking the bad news.
    And it seems a bit harsh to arrange a date, and meet up only to be immediately told that the relationship is over.

Personally, I think that in some scenarios it is kinder to break up with someone over text/the phone. And its certainly easier for both parties.

• It's out of order, do it to their face. I find a text, call email, to be disrespectful and cowardly. Especially if you've been together a while.

• pathetic definitely

• I prefer it. Why waste my time driving out only to dump me?

• Flat ignoring them is worse. Even so after you've agreed to go out with them again and you're cut off at the last minute. It's happened to me and it's unpleasant to say the least.

• I think text is ok if a woman feels creeped out and nen should do it face to fa e.

• Women and them being creeped out in many cases is a joke. Not always but when a woman says a guy is creep because he talked to her and he is not hot it just makes me loose patience for any woman.