Second chances?

Of course it depends on the circumstances but in general do you believe in second chances for a relationship?

46

Most Helpful Guy

• yes I believe in second chances. if you really care about someone you typically want the relationship to work. now in abuse or infidelity sometimes you just have to cut ties. but for the cases where most people break up yea a second chance isn't bad. and in all reality you should have a chance to fix your mistakes and learn from them. I'm not saying that everyone should get a second chance that's up to the members of the relationship. but if I truly cared about someone and they didn't abuse me or cheat on me then yes I would certainly at least consider giving them another chance

What Guys Said 5

• It depends A LOT on circumstances. If someone cheats on another person, I really don't think they have grounds for a second chance. If it's just something like a fight over whatever lead to an anger induced break-up, then yeah I'd say there's good grounds for a second chance.

• For cheating? Never.

For something like being a complete jackass... Maybe

So my answer would be yes or no depending on the circumstance..

• Nope.

• We can't really want a second chance if we don't give second chances to others..

Having said that, I don't believe that people can change..they can however adapt who they are in a way that they stop hurting the person they care about.

• No.

What Girls Said 4

• Generally I'd consider giving a second chance. Obviously depending on the circumstances as you stated, but if it's something minor like a petty argument or differing opinion on something silly, then a second chance can be fair. But if it was something major like I've dealt with in the past couple of years with different guys (emotionally and mentally abusive, cheated on me, and decided that he'd rather go on a bunch of "sex dates" that his brother and buddy set up that he never made it to because I wouldn't just jump into bed with him), I will not give second chances. If it's something small and petty I will, but something that wreaks havoc on my self-esteem/confidence/ego that's where I draw the line.

• Not generally but there are exceptions to the rule. Sadly me and my boyfriend had to break up due to him not coming back to the UK for the next couple of years (he's in the Army and all of his deployments are now overseas). It was a mutual thing that we split but neither of us cheated, lied or did anything hurtful to one another. It was done in an adult grown up way, no gnashing of teeth, wailing or name calling. Just a quiet dignified acceptance that things couldn't go any further.

We love each other and that's the saddest thing..we simply can't be together due to circumstances beyond our control. If things were different then we would be together, but we can't so...

Hopefully our paths will cross again later down the line and without a shadow of a doubt we would both pick up where we left off, but until then we'll still be best friend albeit tinged with sadness..

• no. for me, second chances are just 'hoping and wishing'. reality is, if it's been a long time, it can just complicate things so I opt for a clean cut approach and don't want to go back to any of my ex boyfriends.

• If the breakup had something to do with being unfaithful or any other major kind of major breaking of trust, no.

For other things, yes. Sometimes walking away from something makes you appreciate it for what it is. I've broken up and gotten back together before, and I've found that it's pointless if you don't work on whatever issues you guys had before. A lot of time people get back together and expect things to go back to the way things were before, but a relationship requires work. I definitely believe people can change.