Don't know what to do with this relationship?

I have broken up with my boyfriend (now ex) of two years twice now, once at a year and a half and the second time at 2 years. The first time we only lasted apart for about a day before we got back together and this time it's been about a week now. I broke up with him both times for the same reason, because I felt like we were on different paths and while I am going to school and working part time and applying for internships, he is two years older than me getting a little more than minimum wage working 8-5 M-F. He's very complacent with his life but I tried to look past that because aside from that he is the epitome of a perfect boyfriend to me. He is respectful, sweet, caring, loyal, with the money he does have he pays for all of our dates and gets me little gifts and stuff but the vision of our future kept bugging me and bugging me and I just knew that we would not be financially stable if he didn't step it up or I would have to be working constantly just to pay the bills for us and our potential family. I couldn't deal with that thought so i broke it off. I know I really upset him and I don't know if he will ever talk to me again but I am now just wondering if I made the right decision. I don't know if I will ever meet a guy that I loved as much as him and it hurts every day because I miss him, but I'm trying to think with my head and not my heart. Any advice? I just feel really down and at the point id rather work paycheck to paycheck than not have him...

30

Most Helpful Girl

• You aren't wrong for wanting someone on the same page as you, but you're also both young and you don't know where he could wind up. Some people are late bloomers, and you could kick yourself years down the road for giving up on one you love. But that being said he could have needed that "kick" to get him going and breakups often do just that. If this is such an issue to you now it's going to be an issue until he changes, and you can't change people. No matter how much you want to. Getting back with him so soon will most likely cause him to assume his lifestyle and actions are okay with you now. He won't grow. He might not change regardless and you have to accept that.

Love is accepting flaws and making compromises... But it doesn't mean that we can't find a crossroads and realize there is an issue at hand we just cannot accept. That's okay. It doesn't make you a bad person. It doesn't make you stupid either. You're actually smart for going after what you want and knowing you can't change your ex, while love is amazing, it shouldn't make you miserable.

What Guys Said 0

What Girls Said 2

• Sweetie it's about being happy not the paycheck! If he is happy with his 8-5 then you should be happy with that. Do you become what you want but don't make him be who you want let him do him. It will work out you are young! I wouldn't have let him go if I were you though that's for sure!

• Then Get Him BACK