Do husbands ever return after walking out on you and the kids?

One day , after 14 years of marriage, he just decided to up and leave.
He hasn't tried to get back with me in 3 months, in fact, he says things like "you are a disaster" "you never gave me what I wanted" "I wasn't happy" etc etc
is this a midlife crisis?
will he ever see sense?
will he ever come back?

56

Most Helpful Guy

• "Is this a midlife crisis?"
    No, a midlife crisis is when he goes out and buys an expensive, impractical car. This is far more serious; he abandoned his wife and kids.

"Will he ever see sense?"
    I think he eventually will, but it will be too late.

"Will he ever come back?"
    Probably not, but even if he does, do you REALLY want a guy in your life (and your kids' lives) who can't be trusted to stick around through thick and thin?

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 5

• Well, he probably isn't just making up the fact that he was unhappy, which means he will probably not undo his decision. This is a question of whether being single for him is emotionally more satisfying than a relation that apparently makes him feel miserable, but at the moment yes, that seems to be the case.

• He should at least try and stay in the kids life.

I doubt his relationship with you will ever repair.

• You're right about that. Its hard to put it in to words just how much I hate him for what he did.
      I wouldn't be able to allow him to walk back into our lives to then walk back out again. I've got too much respect for myself and I also don't want the kids messed about any more than they already have been.
      What's done is done!

• Ummm, he has told you what's on his mind..
    It does not look good for you, let's be honest

• Yeah but talk doesn't mean anything. Plus he's not perfect, unless you think being a Vulcan is perfect!

• Well his actions speak louder than his words , and they are definitely not positive

• Rarely if ever.

• Why would you want him back anyway?

What Girls Said 4

• I disagree with the others, I really think he might come back. It seems like a rushed decision and when it is, they often regret it. According to the angry and harsh things he said before he left, we can easily conclude that he had a crisis, or that he panicked, or even that he finally spilled out what he wanted to say for a long time. But with some perspective, I do believe he might grow to regret it and the life you guys had together.

But the important thing is that if he does come back, be very careful when you decide whether you want to take him back. If he genuinely wants to come back, he will do everything in his power to get back into your life and your kids' life, and you will know in your guts that he is sincere and that he learned from his mistakes. We are all humans and sometimes life gets a bit overwhelming and some people don't really know how to deal with it.

If he doesn't, I hope you can get on with your life :/ I can't imagine how tough it must be. Good luck with all of that sweetie.

• Wow--that would be tough. He probably thought long and hard before he walked away, though... so I'd say he probably means it. I would try to start picking up the pieces and move on to a better life. One with someone who appreciates what they've got with you instead of taking you for granted. He's not the only guy in the world! I hope things get better for you! :/

• My father walked out on us when I was 3 and never really came back. But I believe it's possible that some do.

• Yeah, either they come back when their spouse and/or kid made it big and they want to leech of their success, or they come back when the kid is 18 and say shit like "Man that line at Walmart ain't no joke!"

• My dad did. After 15 years of being married. I don't know your situation but my dad was constantly cheating dealing drugs and doing them so my mom put him out. He stayed with this crack whore for 2 years and eventually came back home. Anything is possible