Is it bad to break up over text?

I find it to be a convenient way to end a relationship peacefully.

• Yes
  • No
  • Banana
    Vote C

78

Most Helpful Girl

• I Voted "Yes" but to be Quite honest, it all depends how long and how deep this relationship has gone.
    If you have been a couple for a very long while, face to face, is the best from the rest.
    If you have just been dating and not really mating, then a phone call Instead to put this to bed.
    Text is not appropriate unless the solution to press a button is because it is the Best thing to do when someone is off their rocker and a time bomb that could go Off when you try and let them down easy on the other end.
    Good luck. xx

• So I've seen this situation on other GAG questions awhile back and it led me thinking on how to respond to them...
      What if there is a person with a threatening, abusive relationship. Let's say the guy is emotionally abusive and gives threats to the girl saying "Leave me and I'll hurt you" and he has actually put his ex girlfriends in the hospital from beating her up.
      Should the girl text him or call or try face to face to break up? I imagine face to face would be dangerous. Texting may give you evidence of his bad intentions if he tries to beat the girlfriend up. Calling may cause the girlfriend to buckle down from fear or whatever, but I don't know.

What are your thoughts on a situation like this?

• I should be thanking you for your honest answer. @Paris13

• Why, so welcome, @psychomonkey anytime, sweetie.:)) xxoo

Most Helpful Guy

• Its a cowardly way to cut and run in a Text after a person has spent a lot of time with you and buying things for you and helping you out. No one should ever do that face to face is the only way to fix it or end it. The next thing I know this is how it will go for a Divorce as well

What Girls Said 6

• It's nothing but cowardly and disrespectful to do that in my opinion – but then again it probably makes the break up easier for the person who receives the text because they can be sure that the other person wasn't worth it anyways :)

• banana.. if it was a short relationship then okay.. but if it was a long one.. then they should meet and end it..

• Yes. In my opinion it's one of the worst break up 'methods'.

• yes it is! the one thing you can do when you're breaking up with someone is you tell them directly. it's not nice to breaking up with someone by text.

• Yes it's a chicken way

• do it in person.

What Guys Said 7

• It's a chicken shit way to do it, trying to protect yourself when you're the one shooting them in the back.

Nothing about a relationship should be considered "convenient".

• Nothing screams, "I'm a coward and don't respect you," more than a breakup over text. There is no such thing as a peaceful breakup, only you avoiding the consequences of your lack of respect and confidence by treating people like they're disposable.
    Karma's a bitch, son.

• If it's a long distance online kinda relationship, sure why not. It's not ideal but so was the relationship in the first place. If you have a real life relationship, and you truly liked the person at some point, don't do it.

• If you're not gonna do it in person, then at least do it over the phone and not text.

• Be a man, have some balls and decency and tell it to her face in a polite manor. Is she going to cry and be upset? Sure, but over text will make her more angry and upset and have questions why etc.

• You should break up via the same means you got together.

• Be honest to yourself. What is the reason you would break up via text? Because it's simple? Nah, it's never that simple. Tell me if I'm wrong, but the real reason is that you don't want to face her and you can't tell her face to face because you still care about her, the fact that you are posting here is a proof.

Do a man of yourself and go talk to her, she deserved that.