Why do guys/girls breakup with someone who truly loves them? Usually over the most petty reasons?

39

Most Helpful Girl

• Because relationships these days aren't even about getting to know each other and staying faithful. They are more games and shit and that's why people breakup. No one equally sacrifices for the other. And it's just not even worth it anymore.

• This is a common misconception. Only a relatively small amount of immature people do that.

• Don't be butthurt that I didn't even look at your age. Someone needs to chill out.

• @Albinoninja66 relationships these days aren't like they used to be. Call me old fashioned but I like to get to know someone before I'd date them.

Most Helpful Guy

• Commodification, or the relationship was built on the settling mentality (more on that here: www.girlsaskguys.com/.../a22231-scarcity-fundamental-setback-in-dating)

But you're right and I myself have thought about that quite a bit. It's quite a devastating idea, but this is why approaching relationships with the expectation of them lasting is a bad idea. Better to just enjoy it while it lasts and if it's successful, great, otherwise think of it as a temporary condition in your life.

What Girls Said 2

• The other users pretty answered the first question. As for the second question it's simple. They were looking for a way out. The person wasn't happy with the relationship so when an issue comes along that a normal couple can work out this "petty reason" gets blown out of proportion so the unhappy person can get out.

• You need more than just love to have a successful relationship.

What Guys Said 8

• I broke up with someone who truly loved me so I can give you my opinion on the matter.

In my case it was the fact that I wasn't happy within the relationship. Even though someone really love me and all I still need to think about myself. What I asked myself before the breakup "Is it worth sacrificing my own happiness just to make her happy?" and the answer to that in my eyes was no.

A good and healthy relationship should be one were both people are happy with the relationship and if they aren't compatible for some reason then I say that is enough justification for a breakup

• It takes more than love to make a relationship work so breaking up with someone even though they love you isn't necessarily a stupid thing to do.

• They usually break up when they find someone better. And men do that too. It's called 'upgrading their dates'.

• Do people breakup if they want to live the single life? or too stressed for a relationship? or is that like codewords... cause my ex girlfriend broke up with me for that a week ago.. but it's like she still calls to talk to me on the phone a lot

• Those are valid reasons to breakup. Whether you see it like that or not, she does. I just did the same thing to my girlfriend of two years. We had a "perfect" relationship, but I wasn't feeling it and I felt trapped. I was craving the single life and I am currently too busy to date. So yes it is a reason why people breakup. And it's not shallow at all. It shows that she had the courage to be honest with you and herself.

• Just because someone loves you, doesn't mean you have to love them back. This is coming from the "petty" guy that broke up.

• One sided love is pretty annoying, for either party.

• because its lust and pride that connected them not true loving bonds.

• Some people are actually afraid of success and sabotage their own plans without realizing it... until it's too late...

• The strength of your feeling has nothing whatever to do with our being compatible.