Do you think staying contact with an Ex is good or bad?

I broke up with my now ex more than a year ago. I wanted to get back together, but she started to date another man. She texted me for a year after this. It was HELL. She still tries to text me, but fortunately I'm over it. It did have me asking myself this question though.

Does anybody think it's a good idea? My experience made me think not. I was confused the entire time and couldn't move forward.

• Good Idea
  • Bad Idea

72

Most Helpful Girl

• Just because two people Breakup doesn't mean they can't and don't Makeup and that it is Good-bye, my love forever, @Hopefully1992. And with an "EX" who still Marks an X in your own softie spot, there is usually Motive in mind when it comes down the fine line when She... Still tries to text me.
    She may have Someone but is still Missing the Kissing and the His and Her History you both shared. And even though you have moved on, came to your senses with a sticky situation like this one, she hasn't totally 'Moved on' because she can't forget the Best from the rest.
    She may have wanted her cake and it Two, but good you realized that she was Not into a Real relationship with you or Anyone.
    Good luck. xx

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't think it's good unfortunately. I wish it wasn't so especially if you break up for no fault of either party but that's just the way it is if I'm thinking rationally about it. Maybe in the distant future you could have some kind of contact but right now it clearly isn't the right time for you yet.

What Girls Said 6

• to each their own, but I'm glad them assholes r out of my life.

• My ex is on perfectly good terms with his exwife. They were better as friends than lovers. It happens. Both of them moved on and still meet up and hang out.

Since him and I broke up we have been texting... I think because we both know we're not done or over with the relationship. He has some things he needs to resolve with said exwife/marriage before he can be the man I need him to be. So I get the impression he wants to keep talking and occasionally seeing each other because we're not completely over. As he likes to say, "our story is unwritten."

In your case however, it sounds like she has moved on. If you're still unsure about your feelings, proceed with caution. If you think you're over it and can handle a supportive friendship, maybe test the waters. You'll know pretty quickly if she's still trying to get you back.

• It is never a good idea. Unless you have kids together only then you keep in intact strictly kid related

• In my experience I say it's not a good idea. The point is to move on. If you stay in contact (especially in the weeks and months following the breakup) it will be really easy for one of you guys to propose meeting up or hooking up or saying shit like "i miss you" blah blah. That impedes the whole moving on process

• long story short: BAD IDEA.

• It's a bad idea especially if the other person still wants to be with you. And if you keep texting them then it gives them false hope. So if you're truly over it then tell her that. I kept in contact with my ex and all it caused was more hurt and false hope and a lot of questioning.

What Guys Said 1

• I think it's a bad idea all around. It just leaves too much room for drama and more heartache.