Do you see a point in being friends with an ex?

139

Most Helpful Guy

• Unless you've made a baby together I see no point in it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Unless we were close friends before trying the dating experiment, even if the split was amicable I would not go out of my way to maintain a friendship with them. However, if we had been close friends before dating, I would probably want to try to get that back.

If, during our time together, our social circles melded to the degree where we are both quite close with one anothers' friends, I would want to have an amicable relationship with one another after breaking up so that when we end up at the same get togethers it's not awkward and tense for everyone, but I wouldn't want to try to maintain a friendship separate from the social network, like hanging out one on one and texting/calling each other regularly. I don't see the point in that.

I also do not see the point in hating one another, though.

What Guys Said 8

• No, I don't any point in it. It's totally not required, there's no logical reason to be friends with your ex.

• Depends on why you broke up and how it went. I used to date a girl who is now first in line to be the best “man” at my wedding.

• Yeah I can still like someone as a person and care about them even after deciding I don't want a romantic relationship with them.

• Not unless you two have children together than that's different , a ex is ex for one reason or another.

• Depends really, if you resent them for breaking up with you or if you still have strong feelings for them and would get hurt if you stayed near then no.
    But if you can just get over and hold no grudges then there is no reason to break contact with perfectly fine person.

Out of the total of 5 relationships I had, only one crashed and burned horribly, but three of them ended peacefully and I have remained in contact with two of them until this day. (in very close contact even)

• Of course, I see a LOT of point in staying friends
    It all depends on WHY you broke up though

• Yes, to be pathetically trying to rekindle the relationship.

• I think it depends.. how old you are, how long you guys were together, why you broke up... I don't think it's possible if one of them still has feelings for each other... but if both have moved on, I don't see any reason why they can't be friends... I know some people who dated.. that after awhile they forget they even dated

What Girls Said 12

• No, i don't see any reason to be friends with an ex boyfriend.

The line "we can still be friends" is so untrue. One person in the former relationship usually still has feelings for the ex.

I have found, too, that my new boyfriend feels angry or uncomfortable if he knows i am still seeing my ex. Foe me personally, i get jealous if my boyfriend has a gorgeous ex and she is always around. Even though i trust my boyfriend, i dont trust his ex not to come on to him.

I do my self and my boyfriend a favor and make sure my ex'es are just that. ex boy friends.

I don't need drama in my life from a former boyfriend causing me problems. I have enough drama in my life and don't need more.

Like the great Stan Lee says, "Nuff said".

• Yes I see a couple. Comfortability, possible chance at rekindling a romance. Maybe you just enjoy him/her as a person, you like them as a person and get on well together. Its easy to be friends with someone you actually like and respect. Now, if you can't stand that ex, steer clear and run free
    https://youtu.be/x4q1Zo0hnEw

• I do sometimes cause it nice to be able to go back to the source and ask something and know it'll be okay to ask , or just being to laugh together again with none of the bs plaguing the situation.
    Cause it not like it going to go back to how it was. If I'm in a relationship then it's different i wouldn't talk to a ex out of respect and due to my own territorial tendencies I wouldn't like him to do that so I wouldn't

• As harsh as this may sound, I don't. Don't want anything to do with them anymore. It's easier for me to move on.

• Nope, there's no point in it. It will only bring confusion, despair, and a roller coaster of emotions. I wouldn't advice it.

• In my opinion no. It's too complicated.

• Heck no lol. When we're over, we're done. I'm not gonna be friends with them or anything. We're just gonna be strangers that use to know each other

• Nope there is no point in it, it's called "moving on" for a reason.

• no
    unless they're funny
    funny people are always keepers

• To get back together sinner or later

• no I wouldn't be friends with a ex boyfriend