Why do so many people go 'no contact' after a breakup?

Is it hurt? anger? or no feelings at all?

What do you think is the main reason?

56

Most Helpful Guy

• Its to help move on. I am currently doing this with an ex where we had a peaceful mutual break up due to us both moving and not wanting a LDR.

Not talking makes sure you don't backslide, which I have done with an ex and it made the break up waaaaay messier. It also makes sure YOU deal with the break up in a way that allows you rebuild your sense of self, become a better person and move on 100% faster.

But that is just my reasoning behind it I suppose...

Most Helpful Girl

• As an introvert, I need my space to heal. I just get really quiet, and focus on my emotions so they don't get the better of me. Once I get over it, I'll start talking to family again (like I won't say nothing to them if they ask me something, but I won't start conversations).

What Guys Said 5

• Well this is what I do and my intent behind it is that I can move on with my life faster. Secondly, I don't have to worry about them popping in and out of my life, once I'm done, I'm done for good.

I don't do this by accident or because I feel bad. I always say any time I exit a relationship I will go no contact.

• No more drama, that's ultimately the goal. Why keep in touch when all it will do is cause further pain, discomfort, or confusion?

Best to let it go and get on with life.

• There's no reason to keep talking to them.

• Seems to be the most effective way in cutting emotional ties. Distance yourself so eventually the feelings die down. If you keep talking, your negative emotions will continue to be perpetuated.

• Demons hide among us.

What Girls Said 4

• Because if I wanted to keep talking to him and shit, I wouldn't have left.

• Because people move on. I don't have any contact with my ex-husband either because I want him to find someone else. We are no longer married to each other. The only time we contact each other is if it has anything to do with our son. I encourage my son to spend time with his father, but I will not contact my ex-husband. We have our own separate lives now. If he needs my help, however, I will help him.

• Maybe anger. It's always poor luck when a relationship turns sour and starts heading south.

• they're your ex for a reason so no need to talk to them