Good idea to contact ex to catch up? Establish a possible friendship?

I'm recently single. I got out of a bad relationship not too long ago but I'm determined to stay single for a bit until I get my life back on track and I want to focus on college. Recently though, I've been thinking about my ex, not the person I just broke up with, but another ex, my first love. I think about him from time to time, and although we broke up I see he has pictures of me still up on his Facebook and he says its his "friend". I'm not sure if he is completely over me, he told me when we broke up that he will always love me and be there for me. Well its been about 1.5 years since we broke up and I would love to talk to him again maybe meet up for lunch and catch up but I'm afraid he's going to get the wrong message and think I want him back, even if I tell him we should be friends he might still have romantic feelings for me. He is a good person we just had problems in our relationship and he was immature. Does anyone think this is a good idea to start talking to him again if I tell him my intentions are just to establish a friendship with him? Do friendships with ex's work? Anybody want to share good or bad?
1
1