"The Opposite of Love Is Not Hate. It's Apathy." Agree Or Disagree?

Agree or disagree? Or is the opposite of love something else entirely?

• The opposite of love is hate.
  • The opposite of love is apathy.
  • The opposite of love is actually [...] (please explain!)
    Vote C

49

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends on your perspective.

You can hate things that are clearly evil (war, senseless murder, deadly diseases, racism, etc.), and those feelings are essentially the opposite of love.

You can also have loved someone, and due to circumstances, now feel that you "hate" them - but that hate is based on the fact that you still have some love for them, so in that sense, apathy would be the opposite of love OR hate (no feelings vs. strong feelings).

I voted B, because I assume you were talking about relationships, but you really need to define a context in order to have a correct answer.

• "You can hate things that are clearly evil (war, senseless murder, deadly diseases, racism, etc.) [without ever loving them]"

@hellionthesage , both of us (and the rest of the GaGers who answered) missed this ^! Thought you'd appreciate the logical oversight he pointed out, as I did.

@MrOracle, thanks for a clear, unarguable answer to this question; I can now close the book on it.

• You're welcome. :)

Most Helpful Girl

• Loving and hating both require a lot of emotional commitment and energy. The opposite of caring deeply about someone is to not care at all - that is most definitely apathy.

What Guys Said 8

• If you hate some one then you hold them as important no different then love. In each scenario the individual in question is the source of the persons emotions either positive or negative. But apathy is the complete disregard of the individual so I would say that apathy is the opposite of love.

• Oh this again! :p

the way i see it is...

apathy is 0... your feelings towards them are neutral, you neither hate nor love them. You just dont care

love is +8 ... you have positive feelings when you think of them, care about the person and wish them happiness because their happiness makes you happy

hate is -8... you have negative feelings when you think of them, you can't stand them and wish for them to suffer because that would bring you satisfaction

so I do think hate is the opposite of love

• Hmm well with apathy you don't necessarily have that same sadistic impulse to a person. We don't really do bad things to people that we feel apathetic towards.

• Hate means you still care. You care enough to feel anger. To wish bad things on them, to expend emotional, physical and mental energy on them.

Apathy is cold. It's like the person gets run over by a truck, and you shrug your shoulders and go grocery shopping.

Hate is an emotion like love. Love is the ultimate emotion, strongest you can get. Apathy is a complete lack of emotion. So I'd say apathy is the opposite in that way.

• I agree. Honestly love and hate are two sides of the same coin.

• I always said so, or well I always used the word indifference being the opposit of love. But yes, hate you still care.

• Apathy sounds so negative. I think a better word is indifference.

• Love and hate are the same emotion, just inverted. Apathy is a lack of emotion, so in that sense, apathy would be a completely different state than love/hate. TBH, I don't think either is the opposite of love, because I don't believe such a concept makes much sense. It's like asking what's the opposite of water.

What Girls Said 3

• I agree. I prefer to call it indiference but it s the same as apathy. It can't be hate because there are feelings involved, while indifference means you have no more feelings for a person.

• I think the opposite of love is disgust.

• Agree. If you hate someone they often hold some sort of importance to you to feel that way.