When's the right time?

To start dating after a break up?

• 2 weeks
  • A month
  • 2/5 months
    Vote C
  • A year
    Vote D
  • Don't know
    Vote E

1510

Most Helpful Guy

• The right time to start dating is when you are ready, and then depends on how long you were dating, how much experience you have dating, the reasons for the break up, etc. There is no single time frame that fits all people in all situations. You don't need to wait until you have forgotten your ex, because that will never happen, but if your reasons for dating are that you want to prove something to your ex, it is too soon. If you are still romanticizing the ex, remembering all the good times and not thinking about the bad times, it is too soon to start dating. If you are hanging out in all his favorite spots, hoping to catch a glimpse of him, it is too soon. If a new guy asks you out and you spend time thinking about the new guy instead of your ex, you are probably ready.

Most Helpful Girl

• "I don't know" as it all depends on the Individual and when he or she would feel ready and raring to Begin a new Beguine.
    Some people can Start right away because they already have another fish on their hook that they took. Others may go along, singing a song, Comparing everyone under the sun to that One, the "EX, who actually still Marks an X in their own softie spot.
    Then there are those who will mourn until the cows come home and never seem to find the love or be in the Mood to just go out there and try with any guy.
    Good luck. xx

What Guys Said 9

• You'll know. You'll just know.

If you are the break-upper, that should be within a half-year. If you are on the receiving end of the break-up, since you are female, maybe the same time, maybe less, but possibly more. This depends on what you are feeling - in particular any "withdrawl".

• I believe it depends on the relationship you just got out of, some people hits the dating scene the next day and other go through a mourning period and wait till it feels okay. Myself, after this last relationship, I'd do about anything to keep her off my mind.

• Whenever you stop missing your ex, and want to be in a relationship because you WANT to. Not because you think you "need" to.

• There's no right time. Do it when you feel you moved on and whenever you feel ready to do so.

• Whenever you feel like it. Just make sure you don't mention your ex to the new guy, because he won't like it.

• When you feel you'll be able to treat your date right without projecting negative things about your ex into them

• When you feel ready. It took me six months before I could go on a date and be happy with it.

• Really, when the time comes, you'll know.

• it depends on situations... lol.

no such time limits

What Girls Said 14

• There is no "right time" it's up to you or the person that was part of the break up and it depends on how long it takes them to recover.

Some people go by the only way to get over somebody is to get under somebody else so it's pretty clear that they get over it pretty fast, while others sob and in their mind it's the end of the world from as little as a week to a whole year. Then how long did the relationship last comes into play someone thats been with someone for a month typically can get over faster someone than they can get over someone they've been with for a year. Or if that person was more than that to them maybe them dating ruined their friendship or something along those lines.

So like I was saying only you can say when's the right time to get back out there.

• Whenever you want to. There's no rules. Do it when you feel ready and know that you're not just using someone as a rebound. All depends on your feelings.

• They say that it takes half the time you dated the person to get over them, and you can finally feel like you're in a better place to start dating again. However, everyone is different so it's up to you. It's when you feel good and ready. Some people only need a few days, weeks, months or years. Just don't rush yourself, and end up getting yourself a rebound, because you don't wanna be alone or whatever the case may be.

• Make sure you go through the relationship and pick out YOUR FAULTS. Learn how to handle those situations better and come to an overall understanding about the old relationship. Go to therapy if necessary and ask yourself what you want out of a new relationship. If you can't accomplish any of this you will be getting into another bullshit relationship with an unknown purpose to likely end out in the same situation as before.
    Im divorced. I did therapy and an extensive self assessment. 6 months later I'm ready for a relationship, but the right guy isn't around. I have a specific set of what I want.
    Fucked up relationships are for growth. Be sure you grow!! The failure isn't always the entire fault of the ex.

• Whenever you feel ready, there isn't a "right" time, it all depends on your emotional state and stability.

• Depends on the relationship, how long you were together, etc.. If you were only official for a month or two then it'd probably be fine to only wait a week or two, but if it was a 5 year relationship then you'd have to wait a lot longer then a few weeks. It depends how attached you've become to that person too.

• I think there is no fixed dates/years. When you're ready to date again. You're ready. It's a feeling and you'll know for sure.

• look, however long it takes u to heal. this varies between people, but in general id give it a month at least.
    i've now been going for almost 2 years and i still dont think ill get into anything anytime soon. but hey who knows?

• when you feel its right

• Whenever you're ready.

• There's no certain time, its just when you feel ready :)

• It would depend on the length of the previous relationship.. and whenever you're ready

• In my opinion, it depends on the length of the relationship, the seriousness, and which party ended the relationship.

Shorter amount of time for a shorter, less serious relationship, and also a breakup that you initiated.

• It varies... how long was the relationship? If the relationship lasted over a year, sometimes people need a decent amount of time to heal up before moving on. If it was a quick break up, it probably wouldn't take you that long to move on, but that is up to you.