Why do my exes always delete photos of us immediately after we break up?

I've wondered this ever since I dated when I was 15. They always delete photos of us on social media and (I'm pretty sure) from their phone. They suggest I do the same. Why bother when most of the time the break up was mutual?

Most Helpful Guy

• I've never deleted photos of past relationships. I had those experiences and have every right to those memories.

But I might not make them PUBLIC after a break-up. Such pictures can lead to a lot of misunderstandings and false assumptions from others, especially those who aren't close friends or people you may potentially date in the future.

Some people may also have a hard time looking at those pictures after a break-up without getting sad/upset, even if the break-up was mutual. By hiding/deleting the pics, it helps them have space.

• No one is saying that you don't have a right to those memories
      It's really not that complicated as you are making it, they chose to delete those pictures because it's their decision

Most Helpful Girl

What Guys Said 11

• 1. It may help them to get over the break up.
    2. It signals to the rest of the world that you are broken up so it will be more difficult for them to come crawling back to you asking for another chance.
    3. It signals to other girls that they are back on the market and available.

• The memories (at that emotionally sensitive time) might be painful (Yeah, guys have emotions too even if they don't show them), they might want to have a 'clean slate' so that other girls don't get jealous or assume they're not available...
    I'm glad I've still got a few pics from past relationships, with distance from them it's fun to remember those good times (and also sometimes a good reminder why you're not longer with the person! haha)

• it was either sooner or later. some people care because one, you're not together anymore so why keep those photos up that show you two were together, and two, it potentially helps the coping process.

• I've never been one to do that so I don't know aside from, they can't handle having that stuff around. If they want to delete, then ok. But them telling you to do the same is stupid an the only reason I can think of in my mind is they think you might have blackmail material against them.

• Why do I need to have those pics? We're not together anymore, there's no need for that. I delete the pics and delete them from social media.

• Because we know girls don't like seeing pictures of us with old girlfriends lol

And for me, I never take any pictures myself, so allll my pictures would be with old girlfriends- it would just look creepy to new girls I meet.

• On a personal level, it's painful to look at what you can't have anymore when the ashes are hot and it becomes a source of embarrassment when the ashes are cold. If you find someone new and she sees pictures of your old flame, you may be called to account for why you're preserving the memory. I chose to be brave and testify, but only because I thought purging my social media would make the situation even more awkward than it already was, and I still purged my phone.

• They don't want new potential candidates to think they are still dating or in a relationship.

• They just want to move on.

• They don't want any reminders if you. In essence a clean start. Pictures of you would help keep them in the past.

• Because relooking pictures of you two might bring unecessary pain and some old feelings they want to get rid of.

What Girls Said 11

• There are several reasons for deleting photos after a break-up
    1. The relationship no matter how good it was, is now over. Getting rid of the photos is a very public way of letting your social circle know this in the fastest and easiest way possible.
    2. They, nor you, are under any more obligation to show any attachment to one another. When you break up, you've made your decisions, and it is time to move on. You may feel its too soon, but that doesn't mean the other person doesn't.
    3. Potential new partners looking at someone's social media don't want to see 100 pictures of the two of you hugged up on one another. That's a red flag you or he is still hung up on the other or hasn't moved on. They have no way of knowing how close or not close you guys were, so its easier if the photos aren't there.
    4. It may be painful to be reminded everyday you open up your social media that you aren't together anymore. No one wants to essentially be 'punched in the gut' everyday with bad memories.

• Because they don’t want that on there profile, if they date other people. Ladies are more hurt then some men are. If you had a boyfriend and they showed you there profile on Facebook and they had a pic up of there Ex-girl you might question them about it right?

• Some people just do it to make sure you stay off their mind, take that relationship out of their life in the present.

They will probably delete them anyway when they start dating again.

• *leaving pictures on social media may lead to the assumption that you two are still together by others that don't know you as well
    *for many, deleting pictures is cathartic. it's a sign that the relationship really is over and that they should move one

personally, i would not delete photos. because even though things didn't work out, it was a great experience at the time it was taken and i would not deny myself of that memory.

• Because they want to forget about you. It's called moving on.

• Because you don't want new potential dates seeing the pictures and thinking you're taken

• Because they want to move on from you and they don't want to look back. They are not obligated to keep the photos

• It's normal to do so, I wonder why haven't you wanted to delete those photos. Wouldn't it bother you to be with a guy whose timeline and albums were full of pictures of him or his ex? It's part of closing a chapter and moving on, which you should do.

• In my opinion, they do it to make a point. "We are not together. See?"
    And if that isn't the case, it's because they want to start flirting with other girls again, and nothing is more off-putting than mooshy cute pictures with another girl.

• Fresh start, don't want anybody getting jealous or pissed off because he left a picture of his left overs.

• They are ashamed of you probably.