How to stop thinking about my cheating ex-girlfriend?

I'm 20 years old and my first serious relationship ended months ago. The girl had a lot of emotional baggage from past heartbreaks from family members, friends, and boyfriends. She also had a substance abuse problem that became a big issue in our relationship. All of this made her insanely difficult to be with, but I stayed with her because I loved her and wanted to help her better herself. All this got me in end, was being cheated on by her and her leaving me for the guy she cheated with after us being together almost a year. this girl had me convinced she really loved me. We told each other our deepest secrets, cried to each other, had a lot of happy times. Everyone thought she loved me more than anything else in the world; she used to be super clingy and act like she didn't want to go one minute without me. Then she just suddenly switched it up out of nowhere and told me her relationship with her ex before me was the most in love she's ever been in her life and she wants to find that kind of love again, although she only had negative things to say about him before and told me I was the love of her life. It's 3 months later and I still think about it literally every waking moment of each day. I replay the situation in my head constantly. Seeing her with the guy, remembering the hurtful things she said to me, I can't get past it. I have fake conversations and scenarios with her in my head where I cuss her out, find ways to sabotage her new relationship, and get revenge. The idea that she's moved on with her life, happy with the guy she cheated on me with, while I'm stuck feeling all this pain eats away I have so much anger and hatred towards her and I feel like I'll never be rid of it. I feel like I'll never be able to get to the point where I don't even think about it anymore. I'm afraid it will hold me back in future relationships, if I can even get one. She was the only girl that geniunely seemed to be in love with me, I'm afraid I won't find that again.

12

Most Helpful Girl

• The cynical undertone in this post has not gone unnoticed... and I cringe

Most Helpful Guy

• I had a very similar situation. The only difference is that i was with her for 8 years. 3 years married. I planned my entire life ahead with her and she ended up cheating only. Its being a month and lucky my guy friends are the best. Their family took me under their wing and help me out in ways that i could not believe. Housing food and anything else i needed. I got over her quick i kept telling myself that a person that cheats on you is wothless and pointless to try to work things out. I soligh up for the gym, more hours at work, back to school and many road trips to clear my head. I block her from phone, text and social media. She does not exist. Its being working for me on my second month and super happy. Also know that you are better than her. You have selfrespect and thats sothing that you dont see on people anymore. I am also a big karma believer and have seen it that when it comes around is twice as painful. Goood luck

• Samething happened to me too! It sucks but you know what? At least you know their true colors now

What Girls Said 0

The only opinion from girls was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!

What Guys Said 1

• I went through exactly the same situation as yours about a month ago. it was a almost 6 years relationship. i hated her for wasted 6 years of my life and left me all alone. I cried since the day we break up till this Monday.

This week, I realized I also wasted her 6 years. Don't get me wrong. even I hated her, at some degree I still want she to be happy. She was unhappy with me, so she decided to go for other people. Then please leave. Eventually, I let her go , and let MYSELF go. I start to talk and think about the positive side of her instead of negatives, and thank her for everything she did for our past.

if you want to let yourself go and move on, start with not to think about it (which is impossible to me), or start appreciate her and only think of the positives of her.