Can you be friends with an ex?

I dated a girl for like a month we had a falling out. She stopped texting me, and I didn't really care that she stopped. Now she is avoiding me everywhere I go! I don't know why she avoids makes me feel uncomfortable, but prior to dating the two of us were good friends. I would or she would text eachother every day over the span of like 3 months. Now dead silence. I would still like to be friends with her, but everyone says "you can't be friends with your exe!" I don't want her to be that person that when I see her at the grocery store I just have to hide or act like I don't know her. I would like to catch up with and see how things are going! I would like to still be her friend! Any advice?

• can't be friends
  • can be friends just talk to her and ask
  • Depends on circumstances
    Vote C

71

Most Helpful Girl

• It can be difficult being friends with an ex. If either of you still has feelings towards each other then it would be too painful to remain friends. Especially if one of you starts a new relationship. There's nothing more painful than watching someone who used to love you... love someone ele.

Even if you are both totally over each other it can become complicated when one of you starts a relationship. A lot of peoole feel emotionally unsafe if their SO is still friends with an ex, it can cause a lot of mistrust and arguments

Personally , i believe if two people can remain friends after a break- up... they were never in love or still are

Most Helpful Guy

• really depends on the circumstances. i find i usually stay friends until we start dating other people.

What Girls Said 6

• Yes if you are totally fine if they don't answer you, if they sometimes don't initiate contact, if you two don't talk for months and ultimately if you would want them to find someone awesome and marry them while you congraturating them. Like normal friends do. So, can you?

• yeah, but I guess that goes back to that one persons statement that I never really cared for them if I can do this.

• Depends on the nature of the break up. Either way I would back off and give it time before trying to contact her again.

• I voted A. Like why would you even want to be friends with your ex? They are x's for a reason. Move on and don't look back.

• Depends on circumstances

• Well, you know, maybe it's dead silence because you never texted her back and she had to initiate ALL the time. Then you were sooo mean in your texts and hurtful that she is too afraid to even say anything to you because she doesn't know what rude thing will come out of your mouth next. Maybe you should try actually texting her for a change and being a normal nice person. That might get the ball rolling.

• You can but you shouldn't.

• why?

• It's a waste of time, you're exes for a reason and 99% of girls won't date someone who is close to their ex. It's inappropriate and just a bad idea. Now if you don't plan on moving on and getting a new girlfriend then it doesn't matter as much. But it's better to just move on with your life

What Guys Said 0

The only opinion from guys was selected the Most Helpful Opinion, but you can still contribute by sharing an opinion!