How long is too long to be hung up on your ex?

I dated a guy for about 3 years. It was a very serious relationship. He was the person I thought I was going to be with forever. Everything was incredible. But we were far apart due to his job and his family back home continuously told him that I had to be cheating. It got to him so much that we could not stop arguing about it. Ultimately things did not work out when he slept with a random girl and told me.
I told him I could forgive him if he wanted to try to work things out. He agreed but shortly changed his mind.
We kept in touch for about 8 months or so until he started dating another girl who didn't want me in his life anymore.
It's been 14 months since we broke up and he still crosses my mind too often for comfort. Little things remind me of him and I fear I might never get over him. In the back of head, I want to see him again one day. But I know that I shouldn't and probably never will. Does it make me crazy to still think of him? Will it ever go away? We are not in contact and neither one us has made any attempt to talk for about half a year.

My ex texted my friend the day after I posted this, and told her to tell me to call him to catch up. Ironic? Yes. I blocked his email, he doesn't have my new number, and I don't have social media, so I guess this was the only way to talk to me. Don't know wtf he's doing. He's calling me tonight.

11

What Guys Said 1

• Well it varies with each person, but it's been over a year and you haven't been in contact for 6 months. He has moved on, so you should too. Yeah he might still be on your mind at times, but you need to move forward with your life, and meet someone else, to take your mind off him.

• Scratch that. Today he made an attempt. Very random since I just posted this.

What Girls Said 1

• i think your best bet is to just move on! Find something else to think of! Like a book or take about dance classes or something to get your mind as far away from him. Its going to take consist effort to get over him. And one day you will have a complete day without ever even thing he was ever your. You will forget like how you forget your keys at time or you foorget to take out the trash. You will know it happen but it won't bring you tears in your eyes.