What should I do?

My ex wife wants me to pay her for child support, but we share them 55/45 split (I have them 55% of the time) We went to family justice and they agreed with her that I should pay the money. However they are basing the money on income taxes where I had to pull out the rrsp and give to her to balance the seperation. She actually makes more money then I do, and to boot she gets to take the kids on vacations and such on the money that I am suppling her where I am stuck paying off the 100k that she racked up in dept. I have three options. I could just stop paying her and hope that she comes to her senses and lets me be. or two I could hire a lawyer and fight it in court, but that only hurts my kids more as these vacations they will not be able to go on because we would be paying for the lawyer to go on vacations... or three just suck it up and pay her?

• I could just stop paying her and hope that she comes to her senses and lets me be
  • two I could hire a lawyer and fight it in court
  • just suck it up and pay her
    Vote C

40

Most Helpful Girl

• WTF is wrong with America?
    If you have your kids 55% of the time you shouldn't have to pay her anything!
    She should have to give YOU money, if anything.

In the long run I think it'll be better for you to get a lawyer and fight it. Or at least get a lawyer's opinion. If he feels confident that you have a good case, I'd go for it.

It is really unfair that you'd have to pay her, especially when you are paying up her debt. If there is evidence and it's not he said/she said, you could have a chance at winning.

• It really depends how their incomes work out. In this case it should be more equal but that's not always true. There's no one size fits all when it comes to child support.

• I know I would win if I hired a lawyer (I have already seen one) But for the thousands of dollars paid to him, it would just hurt my kids. Depending on how long the trial would go on for it could be just cheaper to pay her. That's where I just don't know! what to do what to do...

• In the long run, is the few thousand in court cheaper than all the child support money you are saving?

Put aside money for your children in a savings account. If you can even save 20$ a month, by the time they graduate high school, that could help them more than a holiday vacation ever would.

What Girls Said 3

• Get the lawyer. One year without an expensive vacation is less important than many years of financial struggles.

• That is super unfair!! FIGHT HER IN COURT!

What Guys Said 0