Moving on after a breakup?

What is the acceptable amount of time to move on after a breakup? Days? Weeks? Months? What is an acceptable amount of time between your ended relationship and your new one?

Okay, so a lot of you are saying it depends on how long we dated. We dated for 5 weeks.

22

Most Helpful Guy

• There is no right timeline for recovery, that's down to you.

In time, it is absolutely vital to put the pain behind you and move forward with your life and love. Otherwise, you are giving away your power to the people who hurt you.

Sometimes the relationship you need to rescue is the one with yourself. Moving past a breakup is about you, not your ex.

Don't start thinking about being friends right away — if ever. You have to be your own friend first.

Grief is a process to go through, not a destination in which to wallow. In a process, you keep putting one foot in front of the other, and each little step is part of your healing.

Define your real intentions. Are you trying to move past the breakup, or are you hoping to get back with your ex? You won't move on until you've accepted that the relationship is over.

Be careful about the language you use. When you use catastrophic terms like "nightmare," "terrible," and "horrible," you're bound to spend time dwelling on the negative. Focus on what you can do.

Sometimes you can't get over being hurt until you know you've been heard. Give yourself permission to express your anger and sadness.

Don't embarrass yourself or put yourself in a situation where you'll look back and feel humiliated. Driving past your ex's house, making dozens of phone calls or e-mailing non-stop is no way to let go of the past or come out with your head high.

Learn to trust again. Whenever you get involved in a relationship, you know there's a risk. Don't let a bad experience keep you from living your life to the fullest. You can go through life suspicious, or loving and laughing.

• Ask yourself: Are you hiding in the relationship so you don't have to face the reality of being on your own? Don't stay with someone because it's comfortable and safe. It may seem more secure, but it's not healthy for you and it certainly won't help you get to a better place. Why would you want to settle and waste your life away just to avoid getting back in the game?
      Don't hold all men responsible for the mistake your ex made. Why should he pay for the sins of someone else who may have wronged you?

Most Helpful Girl

• A few days. You're not committed to them anymore so that doesn't really extend pass the relationship

Although when I broke up with my ex of 2 years, after the first week I really didn't want to kiss anyone else because the idea seemed weird. Even though I did the breaking up, for about a week after part of me still felt committed... But I'm someone who would never cheat.

And then I felt ready and went out looking for a guy and found one and it was mostly great, and I got over my ex instantly hahah.

But yeah I'd say it's as soon as you feel ready! You have no obligations anymore

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 1

• Depends on how long you were with that person.