How do I handle running into my ex?

My ex and I broke up 6 months ago, we had still continued to sleep together for about 5 months afterwards. I was so hurt by sleeping with him but him not wanting to commit to me so we decided to end things as I was getting attached and it was driving me a little insane. So it's been two weeks since we have communicated (the longest we've ever gone). I am feeling pretty good, I see the importance of no contact and how it does really work, I've blocked him off facebook, blocked his number. I haven't done it out of nastiness because the last time we did speak it was ending things on good terms but I've done it for my own healing and it's working.

Anyways I'm going out on a work night out tonight. The problem is, I speak to his step brother frequently, about 3 times per week (nothing sexual or romantic at all, trust me, just became friends whilst I was with my boyfriend) and we were speaking last night and he told me him and my ex were going out too tomorrow. I live in a small town, I am bound to bump into them, I can't just walk past his step brother (my friend) and ignore him completely but then I also don't want to stop and talk as I don't want to be set back by seeing my ex.

What's the best way to handle the situation, I know what his step brother is like, he'll stop me and want a conversation, do I just ignore my ex with him standing there the whole time or what do I do?

23

Most Helpful Guy

• You act pleasant, like you are talking to an acquaintance at work, not really a friend but someone you know. It's ok to talk to him as a friend if you can handle it and then go back to no contact but sometimes it's easier to keep boundaries up ad much as you can until you get past him. That being said it sounds like you guys split mostly on good terms, you really wanna keep things on good terms so just be polite, nothing more.

Most Helpful Girl

• It would be easier If you stop talking to his family

• no we get on great, that's just petty.

• It's not petty why are you still interacting with his brother when you are no longer his girlfriend? You can still get along with some one without talking to them all the time. Why do you feel the need to talk to his stepbrother 3 times a week? The reason why you can't get over your ex is because you kept sleeping with him even after you broke up

What Guys Said 2

• If you do bump into your friend with your ex, tell your friend you would like to talk to him later when he's not with the person you wish not to speak with. If the ex try's to but in, tell your friend you have to go now.

• Tell the brother before hand that you'd like to do it that way.

What Girls Said 1

• Just a hi will bring no harm.. Act like he is strange to you, talk with his step brother and just a bye to your ex before leave.. ;)