Do you think ALIMONY should still be a thing?

Personally, I do not. I can kinda understand back in the day when women were severely limited in career opportunities bow it makes sense, but we're in 2015. Almost 2016. Let's be real ladies, we got this. We don't need any punk ass ex's money.

And let's be real women, it's mostly women who benefit from this. Men get fucked over A LOT in divorce, though not exclusively men just mostly them, and this is one of the things that's always bothered me and I find outdated and should be a thing of the past.

I, being the queen of liberals and giving away shit, think it's pointless and stupid in today's times. Completely outdated. I can understand if you're married and your spouse is absolutely adamant about you staying at home, fine. But when you get divorced, I don't find any logic in having them continue to support your broke pathetic ass.
I can kinda understand child support, though I do not agree with forced child support, but you're a damn adult. Act like one if you want to be treated like one.

Maybe it's just because I've been working for literally half my life, and why I don't understand how anyone could live with themselves and have the audacity to call themselves adults if they're still relying on someone else's money (and that includes trust fund kids).

So, please enlighten me if you are getting alimony.
Also, thoughts? Do you agree? Or am I just being a judgmental bitch?

• I think alimony should NOT be a thing, it is outdated and pointless.
  • I think alimony SHOULD be a thing. Let them continue to ruin their ex's lives, since they're no longer together.
  • You're being a judgmental bitch, and I'm lazy and I get alimony.
    Vote C
  • I don't know nor care because I'm never getting married, or I'm sure to get a prenup.
    Vote D

725

Most Helpful Guy

• I agree with you and don't think alimony should be a thing.

The only time I can make an exception is if she stayed home to take care of the kids for example. In this scenario I think alimony can be provided for a period of 6-12 months then if she can't find a job by then she's on her own. I think a year is more than generous but no more than that.

• I can kinda agree to that I guess. But I still think it should be less time because too many lazy trifling women would want the max amount of time and have no incentive to actually look for a job. Fine. I guess at the most is 6 months of alimony. But after that, tough shit sugar tits. Welcome to adulthood and life.

• Thanks for MH :)

• You swayed me a bit.

Most Helpful Girl

• I have no problem with that. I work and make good money, and plan to continue doing that, not stay at home.

However, I think the argument is that for those couples who do decide on one person staying at home (usually the woman) and have that person take care of the home and children and rely on their spouse for financial support, if a divorce occurs, how do they account for the sacrifice of all those years spent at home? It's going to be difficult getting a good job to support yourself right away, when you may have been at home raising kids for the past 10 years and now have to all of a sudden re-enter the workforce. You have little experience or qualifications compared to most other people your age looking for the same job. It's easy for the spouse because they just up and leave and resume their normal life, but you're left out to dry. That's where alimony came from.

I generally am not in favor of alimony, but I do think couples who have one person stay at home should have some kind of insurance for that person if things don't work out years later. Otherwise, no one should be asked to stay at home.

• Eh. I kinda see what you're saying.
      But I see it as defeatist and enabling lazy behavior on their part.
      They would have no incentive to even bother looking for a good job, no matter how easy or difficult, if they can have guaranteed income.

I don't agree with it still.

• I had forgotten to give you MH. I meant to when I typed that comment.

• Oh thanks!

What Guys Said 24

• In some relationships, it is decided that the wife will stay at home and raise the children and care for the home. Meanwhile, the husband is not only working and getting raises, he is gaining experience which will help him get any more jobs.

If she stays at home till the child is 12, that will put her out of the work force for 12+ years during which time she will lose a lot of her learned abilities. It also means she has a big gap (work-wise) on her resume. And if she is able to get any decent job with those negative things going against her, her experience (lack of) will keep her far below what her husband will be earning for many, many years, probably as long as they live.

So she has basically lost a ton of earning power to stay at home taking care of things there. If they divorce, there is no reason she should have to start out at ground zero while her ex is off doing fine because she took care of the home for him all those years. She is entitled to some of the earning power he has because of her.

In those cases, she really earned it and should get it. If she did not do things that way, then probably not. But that should be up to a judge to decide how much she gave up while helping his earning power.

• The whole idea of alimony is that the woman hadn't been working as the man has. Most courts take this into consideration and do my own opinions. But the time frames that the courts have dictated are a little extreme. Three to seven years seems way too long. I think it should never exceed two years maximum since that is plenty of time for them to get a good job or try out a few jobs. If I were a woman who just went though a divorce, I would find it a personal insult to take his money, but that's just my own opinions on it.

• In a world that demanded equality it's just hipocritical to expect a man to pay the way for a lazy X , or worse a spiteful one. When both decide to throw in the towel , decide up and call it a day , not devide and conquer. That's juvenile BS and shows an extremely low mentality. No this is a dusty law that should have been banished when feminist demanded equality. Be equal or shut the hell up

• I vote E: I am on the fence.

On the one hand, if one decides that he/she should stay home and take care of the kids, it will put him/her at a disadvantage in the labor pool. If both parties agreed that one should stay home, then they should agree that the one who does should be compensated for putting him/herself at a disadvantage.

On the other hand, this compensation might encourage people to remain at a disadvantage and not improve his/her situation. This is why I oppose life long alimony and would listen to arguments against alimony altogether.

• 1|2
  • We all agree with you :D
    It's completely outdated and should only occur in movies that go back to the early 20th century or before!
    Moreover, I don't know how the situation is in the USA but in Belgium young people often need to both have a job if they want a decent home. Otherwise you're living in a cramped space :-(

• women are already starting to complain about it, only because its affecting more of them now, lol. It's definitely a dated policy that REALLY isn't needed in countries like the USA/Canada. I think even some of the Scandanavian countries may have it which is incredibly ridiculous, considering womens elevated positions in those societies. If alimony was changed/removed, id feel a lot better about getting married

• I am not affected by it. Nor benefit from it. And I think it's stupid af. Adults paying for other adults is just wtf? It really is not needed in equal or nearly equal societies like the US. I cannot believe we continue such practice.

I agree. I think it would make men feel more secure about not worrying if they're dating a trifling chick.
      I know it affects some women, but men really get the shit end of the stick when it comes to divorce. Usually.

• Lol sorry, I don't date people who are against feminism

• there's a lot of nuance in my stance towards feminism, but to each their own

• It's one of the most stupid things in the world.

• I agree it shouldn't but I do think suing should still be a thing like if a man abused a woman he should have to pay a fine and go to jail. And vice versa also child support should be a thing too like if its a dead beat dad he should have to pay the woman he knocked up child support or if its the mother who is a dead beat and leaves her own child and the bio father takes care of it she should have to pay him child support.

• Alimony for the wife? Hell no. Alimony for a child? Yes, in reasonable amounts aka dependant on your income including the possibility if your income decreases / increases it being changed.

• I specified child support is different. I'm referring to adults.

• Lol I know I write too much.

• Don't worry. It's less your writing and more my tiredness. Usually being expressive is something good.

I do agree with you nonetheless. I am a big advocate of self-responsibility. Something a lot of people can't seem to grasp.

• You watch, as soon as large numbers of women start having to pay Alimony it will be abolished.

I think it's bullshit and shouldn't exist though.

• I completely agree. We gotta stop being so fucking lazy as a society and pandering to the lowest common denominators.

Maybe it's just because I'm super judgmental though lol

• I think there are cases where it makes sense, like where I worked and paid your way through med school and now you're graduating debt-free and found someone less burned-out; but in general, no.

• Child support I understand, it's about the child not the woman. An adult woman is fully responsible for herself these days. Alimony should be a thing of the past.

• I can understand child support too. Though I'm not a fan of forced child support. If the guy wants to be a deadbeat, let him. Just let the child know when they grow up that it was mama being a trooper. My mother was the one who supported us, and she told us how lazy and selfish my dad was. She never tried to force child support on him because she just wanted to be sure that we were taken care of. And if he didn't step up to the plate, she figured it was her job.

Alimony is just blah. I cannot comprehend why it still continues. I can understand if we weren't allowed to work, or not in good jobs. But we are. Alimony is pointless af.

• That meant to be Come on, not common.

• https://i.imgur.com/4sBuzKD.gif
    No alimony means no biting the hand that feeds you
    //////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

• lol the same one! :P

• When you are not a couple anymore why should you be financially obliged to your ex

• I agree. I don't even think when you're together you should, but divorced or separated? No way. Completely absurd.

• God bless the existence of women like you on this planet. What pushes a lot of men away from marriage is divorce.

• I agree. Divorce is pretty much set to go well, even to the demise of men, for women.

I hate how feminism has tainted and bastardized marriage to the point that no one wants it, all for lazy and self entitled women.

• I hear that more and more.

I wish that alimony were done away with. It's absurd to have it in countries that are equal or nearly equal like like the US. If we could vote to abolish it, I definitely would in a heartbeat.

I'm not against all of feminism, and not even all of modern feminism, but there are some stances I just simply cannot accept. Like this whole alimony crap.

• I wish the same here, trust me. But, it's very unlikely that it will go at least anytime soon. The radical 20% of feminists are way louder than the other 80%. And the system will only listen to the louder ones, that's the point of activism, getting your voice heard. And laws will keep stacking up against men until hell knows what.

• Then again women are starting to earne more and more, inevitably marring less wealthy men in the process. It would be pretty convenient for them to get it abolished now.

• Alimony killed Robin Williams.

Get rid of it please.

• All of your answer choices conform to your world view. I don't agree with any of them

• Fuuuuuck no. It's bad enough I have to pay child support.

• Divorce is DEVASTATING to MEN! In some cases it is so bad that Men walk away altogether from Women. Check out a book called "Men on Strike". Also, go to Google and Youtube and search on "men avoid women mgtow". Then read, read, read. Men are faced against Women who...

1. Say they are pregnant... and the baby may NOT be his!
    2. Make FALSE RAPE charges.
    3. Want to get married. Have 1-2 children... and DIVORCE HIM. I know Men who have been through this.

• I don't agree with any of the answers you've provided. I believe is thier mate helped them build something financially, alimony should certainly be in favor. Other than that, no.

• But when they're divorced, they're no longer mates. When they're married, I kinda get it. But when separated? That's just being lazy.

• Alimony is becoming the exception in courts.

• I hope it's done away with. Or reduced to the point it's an urban legend haha

• A reason not to marry a stay at home mom.

• Really? I heard it's more popular now.

• I think it is outdated and there should be revisions made.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zWP1V9Eo0c

• I think it should be possible to write into a prenup or postnup if desired by the couple, but should not be an automatic thing.

• If alimony would be desired?

• If they are sitting down saying maybe one spouse will stay at home but are concerned about repercussions financially and want to say that there will be alimony they can.

Right now you need a contract to say there won't be alimony - and even then that might get thrown out.

• Oh I see. OK. That makes sense. I can agree to that. But even then, limited time because people are lazy

What Girls Said 6

• I don't know... I'm kind of in the middle between A and B , so I didn't vote. Personally, if I got divorced then I wouldn't want anything from him including alimony. I don't see how it's fair that women get alimony just because she married the guy. If she didn't have money before she married him, then she shouldn't get money when divorced. Especially those women who had good jobs before they got married, then acquit their jobs after marriage... she doesn't deserve alimony. Get off your lazy bum and get a job. If you don't work, you don't eat, that simple. 😛

• Have I told you how much I love you recently? 👍👍👍👍👍

• Lol I was hoping you were still on this site! :)
      How are you? :)

• I'm good, thanks. You sort of disappeared for awhile. Where did you go? 😜

• Lol I have school. I'm taking 6 classes, and it's math, science, and a literature class. So I have lots of reading. But I'm almost done with the semester. I'm back to bother GaG lol

• I don't think alimony should be a thing anymore. I don't think it's morally right to live off your ex husband's money. Adults need to know how to be financially independent. It shouldn't be your ex's responsibility to take care of you.

• It takes two seconds to write up a prenup. If people are that concerned about paying alimony than I highly suggest the prenup.
    I've already decided when I was 15 to get a prenup because I watched a very close family friend get screwed over by his now ex wife. The divorce has been final for five years and he is still paying $1,590 a month for Alimony. Not to mention that he also had to give her HIS childhood home, HIS vehicle AND still has to pay for all his children's expenses while he ex wife does nothing but sit on her ass and collect his money to pay her bills. Women who do this are scum.

• yes, same as palimony, for those who really need it. for a limited amount of time though.

• What is that?

• I feel that people should know the risks. And if you know but agree still, tough shit.

I will only agree to a max of 6 months. I know too many trifling women who get alimony and don't even try to find a job.

• not all women that get alimony are just being lazy.

and saying you should already know the risks goes both ways then. their spouses chose to be the bread winner.