What do you do when a guy likes you, but you don't like them back?

This guy is my best friend but I just don't LIKE like him. and he said he REALLY REALLY likes me. its too bad I don't like him back. but how do I tell him I don't like him like that, without hurting his feelings? thanks.

64

Most Helpful Guy

• Well... First off. You're gonna hurt his feelings anyway you look at it. So the best thing is to just tell him how it is. Don't give him a bunch of positives or explain how great of a guy you think he is, and then say you don't like him... He's gonna wonder why. Don't give him anymore reason to hope for something in the future... However he probably will anyways.

In all honesty, you're probably gonna have to stop talking entirely. If he truly likes you for you, he's never gonna get over you if you stay friends.

Second... He's your best friend! You must like him to some degree. lol. What's keeping you from giving him the chance? Just because you don't find yourself LUSTING after him, doesn't mean you couldn't LOVE him. He may not be someone worth your infatuation, but infatuation/lust and love are totally different things.

It's all there for you to explore, if you have the courage to take a chance on him, like he did for you. Love can make or break the best of friendships... Consider what/how you REALLY think/feel for him deep down.

If you need any more advice, just ask! :)

What Guys Said 3

• As drummer said--

Lust and love are two different things, two different feelings. Give the guy a shot. You probably have a better shot at love with him since he's your best friend already.

• "its too bad I don't like him back" don't you think ur being untrue to yourself?

• I say give it a shot, but if you decide not to for whatever reason, PLEASE don't give him false hope. Don't act like you're interested in going ice skating with him and call him up and ask when to go and then when it comes time to make plans, say sh*t like "i guess I'm not meant to ice skate in front of you."

Really.

What Girls Said 6

• Oh my gosh...this has happened to me before...ugh it sucks doesn't it...anyways, my issue was he (he was my friend as well...) asked me to go to a dance with him, and I didn't want to, so I said "I would, but were friends, and it would change our relationship completely. I don't want it to change." he took it a little hard, but got over me. we are still buddies :)

make sure you tell him you don't want to CHANGE the friendship yall have. :)

• Don't do it over text! And def don't use the cheap line of " it's not you, it's me!"...

Bc that alwayssounds like it's them .

I would just nicely tell him that you are flattered and that coming from him

it's a great compliment to have such a good friend like you that way but you just don't seen him that way. And that you hope you can still be friends because it would be such a loss not to have him to talk to and hang out with.

Just do it in person and be up front. No sugar coating.

• if you're confident you will never ever think of him in that way, put him out of his misery. the worst feeling is having your hopes up and then getting disappointed after a long period of time.

• Say you just want to be friend with him.

• well just tell him you don't like him and hope that he doesn't get upset. its not much you can do.

• for how long are you gonna hide the fact that you don't like him from him?