I broke up with my boyfriend but did I make the right decision?

Long story short, Chris is 28, and I'm 26, my boyfriend and I moved in together 6 months after we started dating. Like every relationship it started off well. I was madly in love with him and vice versa, and I was convinced this was the guy I wanted to spend my life with. He talked about getting married, and how he's so serious about us, how I was so patient and understanding, and I did things for him no one in his past eve did for him... and I was sincerely serious about him, unfortunately my patience was wearing thin because there were many instances he called me a 'b' or other fuck you'...
after the fifth time it happened, I told him that if he did it again, I wouldn't know what to do...
Then we got into another argument, and he basically called me every name under the sun. Sadly I reacted and I slapped him in public... as much as he deserved it, it still hurt me too to do that to someone I love. After a couple of hours of arguing and more harsh words I said enough was enough...
i moved out from where we live, and I took all my things... I would be lying if I said this isn't painful, because we did everything together. I know he loves me as much as I love him but I can't be with someone who repeatedly makes the same mistakes over and over, especially if it's lack of respect.
weve all experienced heartbreak at one point, and although I left, I'm still so in love with him, and I know this is hard on him as it for me, i still love him... but I don't want another half ass apology or excuse... help

38

Most Helpful Guy

• I see that you are dealing with a hot-tempered guy. You didn't really specify what his mistakes are. But if the both of you are deeply in love, I'm sure reconciling is the only way but this time you both would need to discuss on how to manage the relationship better in terms of when an argument occurs and how to settle it, maybe have him talking out his point first, then you explain yours back? If his mistakes are unforgivable like cheating or contacting other women, you should just carry on with your own life really.

Most Helpful Girl

• You made the right decision. I've discovered if a person truly cares for you they show that in their actions not their words. My ex pretty much did the same thing (except the name calling), claimed I was the best girl he ever dated, that I have showed him so much care and the 1st girl he ever wanted to marry. When I approached him about our future and how I felt unsatisfied, he said some nasty very hurtful things. Someone that hurts the person they supposedly love like that, don't truly care for the person.

What Guys Said 7

• You made the right decision by leaving. He has to grow and find out if that's the person he wants to be or not. And that takes a long time. Until then apologies and best wishes don't matter. I know it sucks to hear it but that's what I think. I wish you the best. Really...

• I understand he is making the same mistake over and over by calling you those names. In the first place, have you asked yourself why is he calling you those names. You must be doing something he doesn't like and you are doing it over and over also. Being in a relationship is about being in balance and knowing what's wrong and what's right. When there is true love involved, the madness doesn't drive both of you away. Of course there is limitations or a white line, so if it really gets out of hand, the best thing to do is to leave.

My advice is to try to work things out with him, if both of you both still really love each other. Tell him that it really hurts you when he calls you those names. If he doesn't learn from that mistake again, this time leave him and don't contact him again.

• Sounds like you guys will be better off apart

• Of course you were wrong. Horrible person honestly.

• well were you being a bitch?

• I don't know what's funnier, your comment, or possibly you.. lol

• trust me im far funnier in person. never met a girl that couldnt stop smiling around me.

• Why ask this question when angry bitter feminists will obviously tell you that you made the right decision?

• he shouldn't have called you names, but YOU shouldn't have hit him. If these roles were reversed every person on this site would be ripping you a new one for hitting a girl. Ridiculous! Keep your hands to yourself. Both of you are in the wrong, and both of you acted like children.

• and yes you made the right choice. there's no need to stay in a verbally abusive relationship

What Girls Said 2

• You did make the right decision, you don't want to fall into the habit of staying withs someone who says they love you, but could call you awful names. It really doesn't work like that, and if you let it slide again he wouldn't take you seriously and nothing would change. Do you girl! xx

• It's safe to say that this relationship is over. Once you get to the point of being physical during an argument my suggestion is to not continue the relationship. It seems you both don't know how to handle conflict and are clinging to the idea that things could go back to being the way they used to be. It's clear that you two just don't know how to communicate once things get heated, and after your last incident, it's also clear that you can't emotionally handle it. I'd say that unless you plan on seeing a couples councilor, don't get back together.