Once a cheater, always a cheater?

i know a guy who has cheated in past. he has also had a serious long term (almost 2 yrs) loyal relationship with a girl. he mainly only cheated in high school and he agrees that since then he has grown up and doesn't want to do that anymore. He said he'd do it when he got bored with a relationship and now realizes that's the point where you just need to break up.

i really like him otherwise. am I naive to give him a chance?

43

Most Helpful Girl

• I say once a cheater, always a cheater. Don't be so naive. he's stupid enough to blame it on boredome when it truly was him not having the gall to say that he needs a break. I'm in the same situation, and its killing me to say no to this guy, but he was a cheater. He's even known as one of the sweetest guys at our school. But I can guaruntee you he'll cheat again, and you don't want it to be with you, especially if you have serious feelings for you.

What Guys Said 3

• Yeah I'd say give him a chance, just realize you can't blame him if you get hurt because you risked it. "once a cheater always a cheater" yeah I don't believe that because I use to cheat but now I'm settled and wouldn't put a girl through that again. Good luck

• I believe that people can and do change. People mature and deserve second chances. Honesty and open communication are keys to good relationships. Give him a chance but if he cheats on you, then it's back to "once a cheater...".

• Definitely agree. no second chances if he cheats

• If he has cheated in the past, what makes you think he won't cheat again? I agree that once a cheater, always a cheater, sorry. That's just my opinion.

• But he has been in a serious, long term commited relationship before...so part of me like why wouldn't he be able to do that again?

• He may me able to do that, but that's not the point. He might still cheat. I say do what you think it's best. Me, I hate cheaters, so I wouldn't trust someone who has cheated before.

• Well yeah I hate cheaters too.

What Girls Said 3

• I don't think someone that cheated one would do it again... Its more about you and if you gonna be able to pass this, to really trust him even do you know he cheated in his past relationships, If your gonna be able to maintain the relation without you thinking his cheating or maybe thinking about it..

if you think your not gonna have a problem with that you should give it a try. But he does have a good point in admitting it was wrong & realizing it was the point to break up with the person.

• give hi am chance...people change:)

• honestly I think you should give him a chance, its different with every relation ship, something could of happened in his other relation ship that made him cheat you never know

i say go for it

• Im just confused because 1) I do know people grow up and mature and 2) he IS capable of having a long term serious loyal relationship. we have mutual friends who think he's a good guy and are like yeah he has cheated but he can be loyal. so idk