Does having a baby make a man more likely to cheat?

So my co worker at work Is in his late 30s and I feel like he has problems with commitment he been with his girlfriend for about 5/6 years but only recently proposed to her which is fine but he used to always brag about in work how he would never want to get married and I just found out today his girlfriend a expecting a baby next month but he dosent seem excited he keeps on saying how he dosent know how he going to take to fatherhood and how he not sure how he will cope with it and how it's so much more pressure on him and everything he will have to give up. U don't expect to here childish remarks from someone nearly 40 am starting to think it was not planned pregnancy also he mentioned something else that disgusted me that he hopes it works out after asking him about it he came out with how he hopes he dosent cheat. Surly he shouldn't have these doubts. Shouldn't he be all loved up and excited he just keeps saying how he dosent know how he will take to it. The saddest thing is they lost a baby a few back so surly they should be over the moon now. Does having a baby increase the chance of a man cheating?

35

Most Helpful Guy

• Having a baby decreases the odds of a man leaving a relationship (obviously not to zero).

It's also not uncommon for sex life to collapse or become very low frequency (not always but it's common). It's also not uncommon for both partners with a baby to feel neglected and unappreciated.

So I'd guess that the combination of not leaving plus bad sex life plus feeling ignored do indeed create a storm that increases the odds of cheating. Not that most necessarily do in that scenario, but 'more likely', sure, I'll say yes.

Most Helpful Girl

• Some guys are more likely to cheat at these times, other guys could never bring themselves to.

What Guys Said 4

• Short Answer: No.

There isn't a shred of evidence that supports the thesis that the chance of a guy cheating increases when his partner is pregnant.

I disagree with your characterisation of your coworker's remarks as childish. His cold behaviour towards the girlfriend's pregnancy is a psychological condition experienced by thousands of guys worldwide.

The condition, which is likened to post-natal disorder for women, is well-documented in academic and medical journals. Unlike postnatal disorder that occurs after a woman has given birth, men experience psychological disorders at the onset of a partner's pregnancy. Women too experience the same behaviour as men.

• Loving and responsible guys will respond lovingly and responsibly when their girl is pregnant. Reckless and selfish guys will respond recklessly and selfishly.

I don't expect the leopard to change it's spots. He thinks this is all about him. Shame.

• From what you're describing, it sounds like he is nervous about being a father, not necessarily looking to cheat. The fact that they lost a baby previously would up the nervousness factor also, so that would be playing a role in it too

• Yeah although the Baby was really early on she was only 8 weeks gone so that's why I thought he would be happy everything going good now xx I just feel a bit sorry for his girlfriend she would be heartbroken if she knew he was talking like that X

• Not this one (pointing at himself, shaking his head).

What Girls Said 2

• If the couple allow the baby to drive a wedge between them, then I suppose it is more likely the guy will cheat IF he's a person who would do that anyway. A woman is far less likely to be able to, what with looking after the baby all the while.
    Most men are good people, they don't value the wetness of their cock over their side and family. Most men are good husbands, good fathers. This man sounds like a prick.

• See the things is, men in our generation are never forced to grow up, so some choose not to. And it might be somewhat charming at 21, at 40, as you can attest, not so much.
    He's just an overgrown child, that's it