Is it okay to be upset my boyfriend spent 4 dollars on a Christmas present?

I spent $90 on gifts for him. I'm not trying to be ungrateful but he gave me his old computer keyboard, a necklace he got for free and spent 4 dollars on a box of cookies. I was really irritated because I droped 100 hints on things I wanted but he ignored them. I know He has a lot money (that's not why I'm dating. I really love him. We have been together for 10 months ) I don't know , am I just being stupid about this?

814

Most Helpful Guy

• You are a materialistic person, which is why you are upset. If you spent $200, and expect a $200 gift in return, what's the point? Just buy your own shit for the holidays.

Society has created people like you who think the strength of a relationship at Christmas is based on the amount of money you spend on each other. I've only exchanged a store-bought gift with my wife during our 1st year of dating. Now, we spend $0 on purchased items and we make each other gifts instead.

Whether she makes me cookies, caramel popcorn, or a knitted sweater for my childhood teddy bear, it means a lot more than a computer keyboard, a necklace or a jacket.

You should also consider whether his cultural/family values actually values such presents. In his family, do people often buy gifts for each other and spend lots of money? Or do they simply spend Christmas together, eating, laughing and sharing stories?

I think your pettiness, materialistic nature will strain any relationship you have. There are far too many couples who break up due to money issues. Whether it's because they don't have enough money, or that he isn't spending enough on you.

Most Helpful Girl

• Christmas, like oral, is more about giving than getting.

• I wasn't expecting something big, I guess I got my hopes up

What Guys Said 13

• I don't think you are. I'd hope you're worth more than $4.00 to him. You definitely have no right to expect a Rolex, and I can't give you a dollar amount that's fair, but I think $4.00 is outrageous especially if he can afford a little more. I'm pretty sure any guy no matter how broke they may or may not be can do better than $4.00. I'd be pissed.

• The computer keyboard was really sentimental. He wanted your fingers to travel in the same places his had. God that's sweet.

• Best answer by far and whomever down votes this utmost excellent answer shall burn in hellfire and damnation. Lettuce prey... dear baby Jesus...

• How much does he spend on you during the whole year?
    People see Christmas a different way, for some it's about the presents (you), for others it's the company and people they spend it with (which seems it's your boyfriend's case).

• Depends on how he usually is. Does he usually is quite oblivious to you hinting things, giving presents, etc? Then maybe he just didn't really get it. Otherwise this screams red flag - not because its only 4$, but because it sounds like he didn't put any effort into it.

• Id be pissed if I were you lol. If I was dating a girl for over 10 months, and I had the money, I would definitely get her something nice. 4$ is just lazy

• oh wow. I spent twenty hours breaking my back drawing a picture for a girl I wasn't even dating cause I was madly in love with her, and that was on an ordinary school day. I'm broke as shit, but I paid someone all the way in Serbia $5 to get her trained gerbil to spell out Happy Birthday (name of girl) with cabbage and send me the video file so I could text it to her.

The part that bugs me is that he's rich. If he were poor I'd call you ungrateful but nah he just didn't care. Even still he could've written you a fuckin letter or something or gave you head at the very least lol. Hell yeah you should be upset, if I was a girl I'd dump his stupid ass.

• If the necklace was nice and the keyboard still worked and were to replace your old one then it's the thought that counts. Yeah he's being cheap, but why spend money on something he has that works fine. Now if you didn't like the necklace or it was a cheap plastic one from some quarter machine and you didn't need a keyboard or his was worse than yours then you should be upset because you would have pretty much only gotten a box of chocolates.

• I agree with you. You have every right to be upset

• LOL, a box of cookies.

• Have you considered dating richer people?

• Well it's not always about what you get but he is either insensitive, about to break up with you, doesn't like holidays or spends lots of money on you in other ways.

• I'm sorry but lol

• I will say no. Used keyboard !!!

What Girls Said 7

• I don't think it should matter if he made the gift himself. Did it come from his heart? Did he try to chose something that you would like? Stop acting like a spoiled brat. If there is something you want, then buy it for yourself. He got you something and he made an effort. Maybe he is trying to see how you really are. If you really love him or the things he can provide. Men like independent women. Stop whining and be thankful.

• You can't be mad at him for something you never made clear to him, how was he to know you would spend so much? Money isn't every thing and maybe he just doesn't see giving gifts the same way you do, people are raised differently some people don't even get presents for people on Christmas. You two seem very different people and if something as silly as this is getting to you maybe you guys aren't meant to be

• From a girl's standpoint I can kind of understand where you're coming from. However, maybe you do not see the value in what he has given you.

• OMG what a jerk dump his ass.

• It's the thought that counts.

• Yes. You should be upset

• you are really ungrateful.

The End :(

• So you would be happy if you where in the same situation?

• you are just materialistic. nothing wrong with that.

• I had nothing, I used all my birthday money on him