My boyfriend of almost three years broke up with me, will he soon come back if I give him space?

Me and my ex were together for almost three years. We went through a lot together, bad and good. Four weeks ago, he broke up with me but told me he still wants to be friends. I tried begging him and everything to get him back but it seemed like it was just making things worse. Finally, i posted something about how i can't wait for Friday night. He messaged me right away and said "i see you're happy without me, im proud of you" i asked if he was happy but he kept ignoring the question. On Christmas he texted me saying merry Christmas and he let me know that his family now knows me and him are done. I told him i missed him and he said he can't stop thinking about me but he doesn't want to be with me anymore. I haven't talked to him since Christmas night. If i give him space, will he come back?

42

Most Helpful Guy

• It does not sound like it.

Guys and girls break up differently. When a girl initiates the breakup, usually she is fed up with something and no longer wants to be friends afterwards. In time, she will break off all contact and move on with her life. Girls can be a bit more malicious after a breakup, and cutting all ties is part of that deal.

A guy often breaks up differently. If he initiates the breakup, he will still want to remain in contact at some level. Usually as friends (or friends with benefits if he's a douchebag). He doesn't actually hate you or dislike you. He simply identified too many red flags in the relationship, and decided that there was no long-term future between the two of you. That's why he broke it off. And since he also told his family, it's not a decision that he's going to reverse.

However, he means you no ill will, and doesn't want to see you hurt. This is why he said, "I see you're happy without me, I'm proud of you.". It is probably a relief to him that you seem happy, or seem like you've moved on. However, that does not mean he wants to get back with you.

If some day you find someone else and get married, don't be surprised if you get a random message from your ex, saying that he hopes you're happy.

Most Helpful Girl

• It's hard to say if he will come back, but if someone's meant to be in your life they'll never leave, or they'll find a way back. Give him the space that he needs. Sometimes you have to distance yourself from some people, if they care they'll notice. If they don't then you know where you stand. 💗🌹

What Guys Said 1

What Girls Said 3

• Why would you want somebody back who doesn't want to be with you, he's made it quite clear. He is being cruel giving you hope by messaging you. I f I were you I'd turn on his ass and go no contact, it would drive him crazy

• get over him...

• I don't think so. Just move on.