At what age is a child more affected during a divorce?

I understand that no matter the age, divorce will affect any person. I just want your opinion.

32

Most Helpful Guy

• I say in their teens since that's when they remember and know what's going on and when life is also the most testing at that age anyway on top of all that

• Yeah I'm also speaking from experience at both ends, I was 13 when mine divorced and now mine are 16 and I'm getting divorced now, starting to make me think men and women are not meant to live with each other for very long

Most Helpful Girl

• I would say tweens (12-14).
    They are going through so much changes in their body, discovering their identity, peer pressure, emotions.. etc. Divorce puts a lot more on them.

What Guys Said 1

• I agree with anon 45+, teens would be the most affected because they're old enough to comprehend what's going on and they're also at an age where they need a lot of guidance and support.

What Girls Said 2

• I would say when they're between the ages of 3 and 13, when they're in the egocentric stage of life (though the age can change depending on how quickly the child develops) because they would attribute the divorce to be a result of their doing or existence. They'd be less likely to see the divorce as a disagreement between adults and instead think it's because they (the child) make it so their parents are unable to live together.

• During their teen years.