How long before bringing a date around your kids?

How long should I wait before bringing a boyfriend around my kids? I'm recently divorced and haven't brought anyone home yet because I want to be very careful about the whole situation. I don't want to confuse or damage them in any way. They are 2 and 4. They obviously wouldn't understand a boyfriend vs. a friend, but still. I'm not at all talking overnight, just coming over. Things are getting serious with the new guy, he has said he really likes kids, and I feel it is unfair (to him) that I always go to his place and he never comes here. But my kids are my priority!

45

Most Helpful Guy

• Seems safe enough if he already verbalized he likes kids. Just remind him he doesn't need to go crazy with gifts ^w^

Most Helpful Girl

• There's a huge difference between "liking "kids and being part of their life.

Although the kids should be your priority, it's still important for you to have a life outside of family life too, but I'd keep you family life separate from you social life until you are sure the relationship is going to be long-. term. It's hard to put a time limit on it, but I'd introduce them to him no less than 6 months.

Kids as young as yours will like anyone who "mummy" likes they adapt quickly too. So introduce them gradually whe you know this guy has intentions of sticking around.

• Thanks for the MHO

What Guys Said 4

• Kids adapt faster than most people give them credit for. You should be good to go on that given their ages.

• risk risk risk

• That's why I'm asking. ..

• So no other human being can ever come around my kids?

• not saying he's a bad guy but thats me

• i dated a girl a year and never had an intention on meeting her kid.

• Never would seriously date a women with kids

• I agree. However the men that would want to meet your children are 20x more likely to be child molesters.

• He didn't ask to at all. But it's a package deal.

• Go for it as soon as you think your ready

What Girls Said 3

• I would wait at least 6 months but more like a year.

• My mum has been weary of everyone since the beginning of time. I don't think she dated anyone after my dad left (I was 7) until I was about 17. Even then she didn't bring him around the house.

• I would say when you think it's right and when you're pretty sure the guy is going to be with you for a long while.