Why can't I just decide whether or not I wanna let my ex go?

My ex and I have been an on and off couple since January of last year. Since then, we've broken up three times, and every time, he broke up with me. Most recently we broke up at the end of this January. He was my first EVERYTHING, including first love. The other two times we broke up, we were able to stay friends, but I know it wasn't easy for me. Every girl he talks to, it hurts me even more, and it's painful to think of him being with others girls.

I told him a few days before we broke up this last time {cause I was expecting it} that if we did break up, I was going to stop talking to him cause it would be too hard to be his friend, but that never happened. Since then, we've had arguments, all because of how hurt I am, and each time I told him that it's not a good idea for us to be friends at this time. But every time I tell him that, he manages to pull me back in saying how he'd rather have me in his life, than to never speak to me again, and I honestly think that would hurt him.

But it's hurting me as well to see him moving on, when I'm still hurt.

My head feels that dropping contact would be the smart thing to do, but my heart absolutely won't let me. And in some way, I don't want to let go.

I'm absolutely torn between this situation and heartbroken.

What should I do?

12

Most Helpful Guy

• Not to be ignorant, but haven't you learned from the last 2 times he broke up with u. I will give you the 1st break cause we all try to get our ex's back after the 1st breakup. I'm guilty as charged. But do you want to go thru that same pain over and over. I mean if its on and off and he's the one that's been breaking it off, what makes you think he'll change. He is playing u. he is just stringing you along for a hell ride that he's getting a kick out of it. You should listen to ur brain because the last time I lstened to my heart instead of my brain, my heart was snapped and my brain kept telling me what the f*** was I thinking. Yea it'll be rough at the beginning since he was ur first love but ull get over him. ur still in highschool, you got plenty of other options.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

What Guys Said 1

• Avoiding pain should never be a reason to keep a relationship together, or a reason to break one apart.

What Girls Said 1

• if you really want to move then I would say don't talk to him at all.

but if you still want to work things out and have hope that he will change then stay friends.

i would recommend not being friends just act like you don't care when they see you are hurting its a sign of weakness to guys they take advantage of that, just don't ever contact him first or nothing and always act happy happy happy :) don't let him see he's getting the best of u