Girls, How would you prefer to be broken up with?

Not saying that it won't hurt you but, I'm just wondering what method or phrasing would be ideal in a bad situation?

We seem to be forming a consensus on cold brutal honesty. In much the same way as a prosecuting attorney would go after a witness for the defense. Still everyone being human and all, we seem to forget the man may still care about the feelings of the woman he's come to know. Perhaps even his own. So might their be a softer way of breaking up?

32

Most Helpful Girl

• Just quick and easy (not that it really is easy). Break up, explain why, lay out what you want to do moving forward (like, moving out, not seeing eachother anymore, etc). Try to be as calm and respectful as possible, be considerate of their reactions.

What Girls Said 31

• There really is no better way other than telling the truth. Sugar coating things, promising to be friends after, all of that is just fluff on top of a really crappy situation.

The best thing to do is just be honest, give it to her straight, say you are sorry and let it go.

I've been dumped many times, and it's never an easy thing to go through. I will say that it's good to not drop other terrible news in there too. For example, don't let her know that you are breaking up with her because you met a new girl, someone better, or that you never loved her the whole time you two were together. Not exactly the best time to drop that news. A simple "I'm sorry, but I just don't want to be in a relationship anymore." is enough.

The thing is, I don't know for other people, but I know for myself, I don't need to talk to you about my feelings after the breakup. I have friends to do that with. People who will see my side of things and console me.

It will be easier for you both to move on that way. If you tell her to talk to you afterwards and keep a line of contact, it's only going to make it harder to move on.

• Say it to my face.

Be like, "I'm not happy anymore. With us. We're just not working and I know we've tried to make it work, but we're just not, and I think it's best if we part ways. And I'm sorry but I respect you and I respect myself and I respect us enough to not continue to put us through this and I wish you the best."

Or something like that.

• I would want you to say it face to face. I want you to be honest with me but I still want you to be gentle with my feelings. I'd want you to talk about it with me and answer all of my questions no matter how many there are. And I'd want you to hold me because I'd be crying.

• *I answered this according to my boyfriend and how I would feel. What is best for me might not be the same for her, but this is what I would want with someone I love.

• If I were to break up with someone I would do it in the exact way I wanted someone to do it if they were to break up with me. I want an honest and respectful break up. By that I mean hearing the truth even if it will hurt, in person. Don't be mean though, obviously. However some people say they have been thankful when someone broke up with them in a "jerkish" way because it made it easier for them to move on.

• I would just want an honest explanation. It doesn't matter how long the explanation is, just so long as there's no questions or anything of the sort left unanswered. It'll hurt regardless of how it's done, but I think being nicer and honest about it is the best way to handle it.

• By being honest and decisive. If he's gonna break up with me, he better have answers to all the questions. When my most recent ex broke up with me, all he had to say was "I don't know" and "I'm sorry". It's the worst kind of break up.

• He just needs to tell me that he isn't feeling it any more and thinks it's best to move on. I don't want to be with someone that is forcing his feelings and trying to fall in love with me, prolong it, and then in the end leave me. So just tell me. I tend to detach rather quickly if the guy tells me he isn't interested in me any more.

• I would rather someone be honest and lay everything on the table. That way there's no room for confusion or wonder.

• I would rather someone be totally honest with me. Even if it hurt me, because sometimes you can learn from past behaviour in a relationship, so you can work at improving yourself. That way you have more success in future relationships.

• you're gonna crush the person anyway. why pretend a break up is anything different? be honest. at least maybe the truth can help the person improve or progress.

• Short and simple. If i ask you why, do tell me. So i can get closure. That's all

• Honesty. So I don't have to guess. Not during a fight and hopefully it's not because there is already someone else.

• The truth is always best. No one wants to be with someone who doesn't love them anymore! So why are you breaking up with your gal?

• The question was inspired by a bunch of angry breakup questions from the ladies on here.

• Breakups always hurt. The worst breakup I had was when the guy was yelling at me to just get out of his car. I later called him to ask him what was that. He told me that he mended things with an ex, and that he really loved her, and he was moving states to be with her. I thought that this was sweet. I wished him good luck and said that if he finds himself in that situation again, honestly is probably best!.

• That if he's going to break up with me I'd prefer him to just be completely honest with me and that's it, and yes it would hurt but I'd get over it.

• Just tell me through a text. That why you can't see me cry.

• I should think that is the only safe way to end it with the Queen.

• @Victorianna okay! I just need someone to tell me if its clear and follows the instructions!

• no problem at all. I am always willing to offer assistance

• Face to face and with honest reasons. And I want it ended cleanly. No more coming back and missing me or worrying about me etc.

• Face to face please. I'm a grown woman who's responsible for her own emotions. I can be broken up with without acting childishly. Being given closure is the best thing for a woman.

• Face to face being honest but not brutal? Like don't wrap it in flowers but don't throw insults in too if that makes sense 😂

• I'd like for him to be completely honest with me.

• I want him tell me why. Not only leave.

• For me, I don't want a long explanation. Just, "I don't think this is working out. It was great while it lasted, but I feel it's time we both moved on."

• Just come out and say it. "I think we should break up. It's not gonna work out. Sorry."

That's how I break up with people.

• I would just want to hear the truth. In person. Don't beat around the bush, it just makes it worse.

• sitting down and honestly talking about it. No cliche lines, just straight up honest and deep talk

• Be completely honest and not over a text however i would want to still break off as friends

• be honest. a break up is a break up.

• Text tbh I would find meeting in person or having a phone call awkward.

• be brutally truthful. dont insult her intelligence by making excuses. be a man, be brave.

• "You're too unattractive to me, I don't like you at all, I actually just wanted a girlfriend, and was bored, so I'm dumping you"
    That's the best way... she'll LET go

• Over text message.

• More from Girls
    1