Is it hypocritical to be sad when your ex dies?

My boyfriend and his ex were going out for about 2 years. Last year, he asked me out. I DID NOT KNOW THEY WERE TOGETHER. So, she found out and all this drama went down and he chose me over her. Well, he found out that she died because of suicide because of family issues, this morning and he's acting all sad. I honestly feel a bit jealous and like he's beinga hypocrite for this.

• Yes
  • Noo

57

Most Helpful Guy

• Just because they stopped dating doesn't mean she stopped being a human being, I don't see why people think it's normal to police someone's emotions over someone they had been in a relationship with, just how narcissistic can people get? Why do people think it's okay to just stop caring about people they once cared about COMPLETELY, and act JEALOUS of all things and controlling and pissed off that you dare care about their death?

Some people are just crazy with their possessiveness.

Anyways, I voted B). But her committing suicide over a boy is very immature. Of course, there's no way to fix that anymore, is there?

Most Helpful Girl

• He would be a little heartless if he felt no emotion at all about her dying. Especially when she ended her own life. That is so sad.

To be honest, if i was with a guy and his ex committed suicide and he felt NO emotion or empathy at all... that would concern me.

Her family will be devastated and he will obviously feel empathy for them too. I can only imagine how heartbreaking it must be for her family. All they will be able to do is find a way to live with the pain of losing her in such tragic circumstances.

Your boyfriend obviously has a compassionate side , so instead of feeling jealous and viewing him as a hypocrite try to focus on his quality of empathy , and be thankful that he has sensitive side... not a lot of people do. Maybe he has a guilty conscience too , and wonders if he could have played a part in her unstable emotional state.

What Guys Said 6

• Damn, I accidentally voted yes, my real vote is NO, it's not. She was part of his life and actually it doesn't seem that they lived in bad terms.

• Someone died. They're gone forever, and you're beating him up about caring about it? The hell is wrong with you.

• You're allowed to be jealous to an extent. You should have felt it for 5 seconds and then went "Somebody is dead" and then gotten over your shit.

• Yes you are! I mean sure they were ex's but still I'm sure he cared about her deeply even if it wasn't in a romantic way. I feel horrible for him that's so sad she died

• I mean it could be kinda just possible that maybe you're a bitch is all I'm saying.

• Someone you once cared for died. Being sad is perfectly normal, I'd be worried if he wasn't. It doesn't mean he wants her instead, it just means he's sad someone he used to know died.

I get how you feel but you need to get over this one and be a good girlfriend and help him feel better instead.

• No matter what if someone you know dies it will effect you

What Girls Said 4

• No not at all. You have no reason to he jealous he chose you not to mention she's dead what is he going to do leave you for her?

They use to have something she still meant something to him once and I'm sure she was also his friend once and not just his girlfriend. He has a right to grieve over anyone apart of his life which I'm sure if this happens to you you'll be doing the same.

He has a right to be sad just like you have a right to be jealous although it's pretty silly.

• They were together for 2 years. Regardless of how it ended and who he chose, he's going to feel some type of way about it.

• well no... if someone u know dies or kills themselves ofc ull be sad its not hypocritical at all cmon u have to be understanding of him

• Who gives a hell if it was an ex? Its still a person who he once cared about and it was still a fellow human whose taken their own life. He has every right to be torn up.